A silly question, but I'm going to ask anyway :-/

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Alright, I know this is a can of worms but I'm having trouble working through decisions on my own. So, the question is:

What's the BEST 7" woofer available for use in a 2-way monitor, period?

Obviously there are a lot of considerations to that question. To help narrow it down, the tweeter it'll be paired with is a RAAL 70-20XR crossed at 1800hz.

My thought process, can a 2-way monitor with an Accuton 7" produce decent bass? Can a Seas W18EX be implemented without any harshness at a 1800hz xover, and will it have the bass drive for a 2-way monitor? Does the 18W Revelator's bass drive off-set it's slight bit of coloration through the vocals enough to give it the title of 'best'.

There are 3 drivers on the horizon that really interest me, the Scan Illuminators, the new Eton Symphony, and the Morel Elite with the new sandwich cone and copper sleve motor ... but alas, none of them are available at this time.

So please excuse the question itself, and enlighten me on what your thought process would be on choosing a woofer to pair with the RAAL for a full range stand mount design.

augerpro said:
I say try the Accuton. And post the response on big baffle f you do. The factory response always looks so freakishly good on those ceramic cones it makes me curious.

Ha, sounds like you just want me to get it so I can post test results ;)

Seriously, I probably would go with the Accuton if I KNEW it could give solid bass. But I've heard a lot of Accuton based stuff, and none that I've heard have had any bass weight at all. Last year at the RMAF, Audio Federation was right down the hall from me with their $150K Marten Coltrane Supreme, and even it didn't have any balls.

Is it too much to ask for balls AND accuracy?

inertial said:
Hi,,
You are right, but I am a bit skeptical about this manufacture's claime.
Curious to see some distortions graph.

cheers,

Hi,

Oh yes, frequency response is one thing, distortion quite another.

Quite how they get an intrinsic 18dB/octave roll-off would
also be interesting, presumably its 12db/octave mechanical
plus some first order roll-off from the transformer, or does
it have a built in capacitor somewhere ?

:)/sreten.

hi there, last years I worked with all mentioned drivers.

scan speak 18wsliced. can give good bass that have balls :) surprisingly for its size.

audiotechnology the same, just way much better dynamic. going to custom and expensive versions I achieved extraordinary dynamic and sensitivity from that units. they are superior in some aspects.but unfortunately not perfect to me.
what shares scan speak sliced and AT is "flesh and bone" sound.
and they mach ribbons very nice. its rare case when flexible midwoofer cone mach ribbon sonic character.

when you enter to accuton neo versions(i didnt try old versions thought) you may surprise where bass has gone :) especialy when i tested them in aluminium enclosures with lead/bitumex dampening. . they measures flat and goes low. just they do not have colorations="flesh and body"

you may not like that.

I also designed speaker which had 4psc 18wsliced paper 16ohms version per speaker. in 125liters. 8x 18w provides very impressive bass quantinity both deep and punch. its all matters on your taste..BTW I saw your thread on single raven. do you have some photo?

Hi there

Some of the best drivers i know are not publicly available unfortunately. They are used by Burmester or Baackes& Mueller in their top speaker models. They are handcrafted, made in germany, have a neodymium motor, hybrid membrane yaddayadda and all that stuff.

Considering that they are not available under normal circumstances i would prolly go for the well known scanspeaks woofers or for example the new morel supreme line woofers (although its a 6.5'') featuring latest motor structure with neodym etcetcetc.

Also the ATD "Goerlich" clones with the silver coated foam membrane might be worth a look, too. I have not used those myself though.

Unfortunately i can compare them to the drivers mentioned above (those used by B&M and Burmester), thus most other drivers with maybe the exception of the Scans and new Morels are no match for them.

Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.