knock off Belle Klipsch? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st August 2008, 01:51 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default knock off Belle Klipsch?

i would like to build my 1st folded horn enclosures. i like the size & floor space of the Belles. are there any sources recommended for plans i could see or buy? i have looked for a cross section on the Belles or K horns but not found. any folded horn idea is fine for me. the driver will be 12" dynaudios i have in inventory. i will stack a 26" ribbon next to it along with a vertical line source of 6" cone drivers as mid bass couplers possibly di pole back less. all will be triamped with a mix of triode pentode and beam power amps. active external xovers too.

i am pretty good with wood, just need help with getting a design.
thx!
Old 21st November 2009, 08:59 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

i have a set of plans for Belle, LaScala and K-horn.
pm me if you want them.
Old 21st November 2009, 11:11 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default plans for folded horns

ok Barackuda - how do we connect?
n7369p at q dot com
Old 22nd November 2009, 04:24 AM   #4
sklimek is offline sklimek  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt mike View Post
i would like to build my 1st folded horn enclosures. i like the size & floor space of the Belles. thx!
Hi, if you are thinking of building some Belle's you must check out these two outstanding build threads:

<meta name="description" content="Klipsch audio systems provide the true audio/video lover a wide variety of high performance loudspeakers and loudspeaker systems for music and home theater entertainment centers, including iPod speakers, multimedia s

<meta name="description" content="Klipsch audio systems provide the true audio/video lover a wide variety of high performance loudspeakers and loudspeaker systems for music and home theater entertainment centers, including iPod speakers, multimedia s

You will also find links to CAD and .pdf Belle plans as well there...

Old 22nd November 2009, 04:49 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
the driver will be 12" dynaudios i have in inventory.
Simply slapping a driver you have on hand into a folded FLH is guaranteed to produce far less than optimum results. Get some of the Klipsch units secondhand or as replacement spares or some of the Crites units.
Old 22nd November 2009, 02:03 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

thx Sklimek - nice pics but i didn't see the CAD or .pdf plans.
where in AZ? i am in Snottsdale ;^))

the Dynaudios are great drivers. and they're on hand. all the Klipsch OEM used are spendy. i have them in tuned ports now and the flat response is amazing. But my NHT dual 12" bass bins with 250 w. class G mono amps are the best low end drivers i have ever heard. in my home theater they have seen nothing they can't handle.
Old 22nd November 2009, 02:26 PM   #7
sklimek is offline sklimek  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi capt.mike, I have to agree with Brett in that if you build the Belle's to plan they should follow the intended driver.

The Crites CW1526 was created as a replacement for the 15" driver for the Klipschorn/Belle and has better specs. In addition they are not that expensive:

Search the Klipsch forums using 'formica' who posted them and Belle plans' they are there for the downloading in another thread - just use the search menu.

Last edited by sklimek; 22nd November 2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 22nd November 2009, 02:47 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

cool. thx.
i'll do a jig that allows the 12" driver temporarily and get the 15" units whenever i can get a deal later.
Old 22nd November 2009, 05:55 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
the Dynaudios are great drivers. and they're on hand. all the Klipsch OEM used are spendy. i have them in tuned ports now and the flat response is amazing. But my NHT dual 12" bass bins with 250 w. class G mono amps are the best low end drivers i have ever heard. in my home theater they have seen nothing they can't handle.
That's all irrelevant. A horn is not a direct radiator box and is much more sensitive to driver parameters than a DR box. Have you priced the Klipsch? When I thought I had a failed K33 in my Khorns I asked for a price here and they were very, very reasonable. Hell the Crites NEW are $250/pr.
CW1526C

Personally, I'd ditch your MF and HF ideas as it sounds like a dogs breakfast, build the Parnham mid horn and buy/build (Pi for buy, Arai for build) a decent HF horn with a good driver like a B&C DE250.
I'd also seriously think about a riser base for the Belle and add the DJK ported mod for LaScalas.
Old 23rd November 2009, 02:53 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

i just don't like the sound of mid freq horns. and prefer a line source for high freq.
the base stand for the belle size cabinent is a good idea, get it up off the floor some.
i can experiment - i might scale the bass horn down to fit a 12" driver just to see what happens.

Hide this!Advertise here!