knock off Belle Klipsch?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i would like to build my 1st folded horn enclosures. i like the size & floor space of the Belles. are there any sources recommended for plans i could see or buy? i have looked for a cross section on the Belles or K horns but not found. any folded horn idea is fine for me. the driver will be 12" dynaudios i have in inventory. i will stack a 26" ribbon next to it along with a vertical line source of 6" cone drivers as mid bass couplers possibly di pole back less. all will be triamped with a mix of triode pentode and beam power amps. active external xovers too.

i am pretty good with wood, just need help with getting a design.
thx!

thx Sklimek - nice pics but i didn't see the CAD or .pdf plans.
where in AZ? i am in Snottsdale ;^))

the Dynaudios are great drivers. and they're on hand. all the Klipsch OEM used are spendy. i have them in tuned ports now and the flat response is amazing. But my NHT dual 12" bass bins with 250 w. class G mono amps are the best low end drivers i have ever heard. in my home theater they have seen nothing they can't handle.

Hi capt.mike, I have to agree with Brett in that if you build the Belle's to plan they should follow the intended driver.

The Crites CW1526 was created as a replacement for the 15" driver for the Klipschorn/Belle and has better specs. In addition they are not that expensive:

<meta name="description" content="Klipsch audio systems provide the true audio/video lover a wide variety of high performance loudspeakers and loudspeaker systems for music and home theater entertainment centers, including iPod speakers, multimedia s

Search the Klipsch forums using 'formica' who posted them and Belle plans' they are there for the downloading in another thread - just use the search menu.

Last edited:
the Dynaudios are great drivers. and they're on hand. all the Klipsch OEM used are spendy. i have them in tuned ports now and the flat response is amazing. But my NHT dual 12" bass bins with 250 w. class G mono amps are the best low end drivers i have ever heard. in my home theater they have seen nothing they can't handle.
That's all irrelevant. A horn is not a direct radiator box and is much more sensitive to driver parameters than a DR box. Have you priced the Klipsch? When I thought I had a failed K33 in my Khorns I asked for a price here and they were very, very reasonable. Hell the Crites NEW are $250/pr.
CW1526C

Personally, I'd ditch your MF and HF ideas as it sounds like a dogs breakfast, build the Parnham mid horn and buy/build (Pi for buy, Arai for build) a decent HF horn with a good driver like a B&C DE250.
I'd also seriously think about a riser base for the Belle and add the DJK ported mod for LaScalas.

i just don't like the sound of mid freq horns. and prefer a line source for high freq.
the base stand for the belle size cabinent is a good idea, get it up off the floor some.
i can experiment - i might scale the bass horn down to fit a 12" driver just to see what happens.

Zero bass response is what happens.
As is the size of the bass horn in the Belle isn't large enough to get close to the drivers Fs.
Shrinking the horn gives you a smaller mouth which means higher low freq cutoff.

Also the back chamber and throat size needs to be optimized for the TS parameters of the driver as well.
Otherwise even with a properly sized mouth the driver will have trouble playing down near Fs.

I wouldn't even bother with a folded bass horn unless I was going to take some time to try and do it right.

Try reading the articles by Bruce Edgar on the design of the "show horn" and the "monolith horn" to gain some understanding of the importance of driver parameters being matched to the horn.
They are both available for download on Erik Forker's website,
Download Section

-Josh

thx Josh.
given the performance of my NHT B6s factory bass system with 4 metal cone drivers and 500 WPC of class G amplifiers, i don't know why i even want to mess with a home built system. but i do love what i have heard from a select few LF horns!
this place has great ideas and info - thx.

Klipsch "Belle" construction plans

Hi Gang,

I realize this is an old thread, but I am a new member to the site and I am very interested in building another pair of Belle Klipsch speakers.
I am the very proud owner of an original factory built pair of Belles, I have modified the crossovers and love both the sound and the look of the Belles.
I have some ideas I would like to try based on this design, however, I do not want to disassemble or structurally modify the originals, so I want to build my own "test pair".
If anyone has a good (preferably complete) set of plans, I would be very interested in hearing from you.

Thank you very much !!!

You will like these...

thx Josh.
given the performance of my NHT B6s factory bass system with 4 metal cone drivers and 500 WPC of class G amplifiers, i don't know why i even want to mess with a home built system. but i do love what i have heard from a select few LF horns!
this place has great ideas and info - thx.

Designed specifically for a single twelve inch woofer. Beats the lascala or the belle has much smoother and very much wider response. Designed by the late Ernst Georg Beck. See attached link.

BEC2Biex

Hi Gang,

I realize this is an old thread, but I am a new member to the site and I am very interested in building another pair of Belle Klipsch speakers.
I am the very proud owner of an original factory built pair of Belles, I have modified the crossovers and love both the sound and the look of the Belles.
I have some ideas I would like to try based on this design, however, I do not want to disassemble or structurally modify the originals, so I want to build my own "test pair".
If anyone has a good (preferably complete) set of plans, I would be very interested in hearing from you.

Thank you very much !!!

here are drawings for the Belle and also for the Peavey FH1 which is a better version of the more compact Belle. Paul Klipsch spent a very long length of his career fine tuning the Lascala If you change it you will screw some part of it up same can be said for the FH1 it too has been properly engineered. What is it that you are looking to achieve by modifying it? If you are looking for more bass extension the best way to achieve that with these designs is with the reflex riser mod. If you want horn bass look to the University Classic or the corner version the Dean or to E.G. Beck's California horn design. Any one of these three can equal or better a Khorn design and all three with MUCH better mid response.

Attachments

• Klipsch Belle Drawing.jpg
    Klipsch Belle Drawing.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 250
  • Peavey_FH-1_dimensions_4_view.jpgjohn_albright.jpg
    Peavey_FH-1_dimensions_4_view.jpgjohn_albright.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 253
ooooops!

I appreciate the quick response to my post, and I appreciate the suggestions, but I should have been more specific, I have no intentions of modifying the bass cabinet of the Belle, I have ideas to modify the top cabinet (sorry, my bad).
I know I can just build new tops to experiment with, but I like the Belles overall and would still like to build a pair myself.
I am very happy with the Belle's, so I'm not really interested (at this point) in any other design, I am just hoping to find more detailed construction plans for the Belles than what is readily available on the internet.

Thanks again !

I appreciate the quick response to my post, and I appreciate the suggestions, but I should have been more specific, I have no intentions of modifying the bass cabinet of the Belle, I have ideas to modify the top cabinet (sorry, my bad).
I know I can just build new tops to experiment with, but I like the Belles overall and would still like to build a pair myself.
I am very happy with the Belle's, so I'm not really interested (at this point) in any other design, I am just hoping to find more detailed construction plans for the Belles than what is readily available on the internet.

Thanks again !

a lovely looking cabinet I agree perhaps this will help.

Attachments

• Belle Klipsch plan.pdf
    99.5 KB · Views: 141
Belle Klipsch plans

Thanks Moray, I already found that pdf on the web, but I certainly appreciate your efforts, it's the best thing I've found so far, and it gives enough info to get the dimensions figured out.
I have a full set of construction plans for the LaScala, so I think between the two I should be able to get the job done, I was just hoping to find a full set of construction plans for the Belle to eliminate the guesswork.

Thanks again for your help !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.