sub using Peerless driver - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2003, 02:33 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question sub using Peerless driver

Hello all! I have finally acquired some funding... limited amount, but it will do. So, I can finally build something I want- could do an amp, but I would rather build a sub, which I have ALWAYS wanted to do. So, I have decided on:

one Peerless XLS 12" subwoofer
two Peerless XLS 12" passive radiators

I am thinking something like a 2.3 cu.ft. to 3.5 cu.ft. enclosure. If I went for a 16" cube, I'd have 2.37. I may go that route, or may make it not so cube-ish.

Would this work? With two PR's in that size box? Could I expect massive bass that is lower than anything?

I am also going to have to build the amp... not a problem. Will just bridge a couple high power chips with minimal parts, add a bass boost in the 20-30Hz region and be done with it.

Thanks all
Old 24th March 2003, 03:19 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

These drivers are very good for bass, you will not make a mistake by using them. I think that one passive radiator is enough.
Old 25th March 2003, 09:10 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

tg,

Adrian Mack is a fan of the XLS line. He covers the mass loading he used for his dual PR peerless XLS project:
http://www.geocities.com/adrian_mack/

I personally think it is a good choice too - you can't go wrong. A friend of mine has one and it sounds great.

good luck! - let us know how you get on.

Dave.
Old 25th March 2003, 01:04 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Be careful with this design. He did not measure the real parameters of the drivers and we don't know how he has computed the volume.
Old 25th March 2003, 02:34 PM   #5
Pan is offline Pan  Sweden
diyAudio Member

A friend build a pair of thses subs with PR.

At the volume where the drivers clipped, we were still able to talk with eachother without effort.

So... IMO be prepared to double up on drivers. My friend is now building a temporary system with 2 x 12" XLS/ side and will soon have 4 x 12" per side (= 8 12" total).

He lives in a small house (35m2) and do not play at really high levels.

/Peter
Old 25th March 2003, 02:38 PM   #6
UrSv is offline UrSv  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Pan
A friend build a pair of thses subs with PR.

At the volume where the drivers clipped, we were still able to talk with eachother without effort.

So... IMO be prepared to double up on drivers. My friend is now building a temporary system with 2 x 12" XLS/ side and will soon have 4 x 12" per side (= 8 12" total).

He lives in a small house (35m2) and do not play at really high levels.

/Peter
What do you mean? Did the driver excursion reach maximum or did the amp start clipping?
Old 25th March 2003, 04:44 PM   #7
Keld is offline Keld  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Hi

I would say that your choice will be fine for good low bas while watching movies, but for music its a litttle sloppy.
From what I remember your box seems a little to big (the driver will reach its x-max before max power). My box is 50 l but I wanted the smalest box I could get.

And I think you shall listen to it before deciding to boost 20-30 Hz
Quote:
I have build 12XLS + 2PR and before it go into clipping its loud

Keld
Old 25th March 2003, 06:17 PM   #8
Pan is offline Pan  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I thought it was the amps clipping, but as I watched the cone move they were travelling a looong way

Now with two XLS in the same box (he removed the PR and installed one more XLS 12") the clipping is gone, and so is the low bass

He uses 3x120W NAD in tri-amping.

I must add his house is not a nice place for a bassdriver as it dampens very well since it is a "leaky" wooden house.

Honestly I can´t rule out amp clipping but the single XLS did have a hard time, moving a lot.

Now when I think about it it is possible that the extra 6dB from the 2nd XLS means he play with lower volume-setting and thereby voltage clipping is avoided.

I must get out there and see for myself, I´m not sure he really knows what he is doing sometimes :-)

/Peter

Hide this!Advertise here!