sub using Peerless driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all! I have finally acquired some funding... limited amount, but it will do. :) So, I can finally build something I want- could do an amp, but I would rather build a sub, which I have ALWAYS wanted to do. So, I have decided on:

one Peerless XLS 12" subwoofer
two Peerless XLS 12" passive radiators

I am thinking something like a 2.3 cu.ft. to 3.5 cu.ft. enclosure. If I went for a 16" cube, I'd have 2.37. I may go that route, or may make it not so cube-ish.

Would this work? With two PR's in that size box? Could I expect massive bass that is lower than anything?

I am also going to have to build the amp... not a problem. Will just bridge a couple high power chips with minimal parts, add a bass boost in the 20-30Hz region and be done with it.

Thanks all

A friend build a pair of thses subs with PR.

At the volume where the drivers clipped, we were still able to talk with eachother without effort.

So... IMO be prepared to double up on drivers. My friend is now building a temporary system with 2 x 12" XLS/ side and will soon have 4 x 12" per side (= 8 12" total).

He lives in a small house (35m2) and do not play at really high levels.

/Peter

Pan said:
A friend build a pair of thses subs with PR.

At the volume where the drivers clipped, we were still able to talk with eachother without effort.

So... IMO be prepared to double up on drivers. My friend is now building a temporary system with 2 x 12" XLS/ side and will soon have 4 x 12" per side (= 8 12" total).

He lives in a small house (35m2) and do not play at really high levels.

/Peter

What do you mean? Did the driver excursion reach maximum or did the amp start clipping?

Hi

I would say that your choice will be fine for good low bas while watching movies, but for music its a litttle sloppy.
From what I remember your box seems a little to big (the driver will reach its x-max before max power). My box is 50 l but I wanted the smalest box I could get.

And I think you shall listen to it before deciding to boost 20-30 Hz

I have build 12XLS + 2PR and before it go into clipping its loud

Keld

I thought it was the amps clipping, but as I watched the cone move they were travelling a looong way :)

Now with two XLS in the same box (he removed the PR and installed one more XLS 12") the clipping is gone, and so is the low bass :)

He uses 3x120W NAD in tri-amping.

I must add his house is not a nice place for a bassdriver as it dampens very well since it is a "leaky" wooden house.

Honestly I can´t rule out amp clipping but the single XLS did have a hard time, moving a lot.

Now when I think about it it is possible that the extra 6dB from the 2nd XLS means he play with lower volume-setting and thereby voltage clipping is avoided.

I must get out there and see for myself, I´m not sure he really knows what he is doing sometimes :)

/Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.