Klipsch Promedia's Died - Upgrade Advice - DIY Options? Minimus 7? Logitech? Partsexp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th August 2008, 07:31 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Mysticle31 Send a message via MSN to Mysticle31 Send a message via Yahoo to Mysticle31
Default Klipsch Promedia's Died - Upgrade Advice - DIY Options? Minimus 7? Logitech? Partsexp

I found my ProMedia Ultra PC Speakers dead the other day. The amps die every year or so. I can go replace the two resisters that fry but maybe it's time for something better.

I would like 5.1 because I do watch movies. That being said, most of my media is stereo music and TV. Maybe someday I will get 5.1 TV.

I do want some punch but am not a real big bass hound. I liked my promedias sub turned down. There are times when I feel like knocking things off my desk though.

Size does need to be kept down. I can't really use any TMWs or 3+ way floor speakers. That being said - I have read that 5" is good for vocals and talking because many 3" drivers fall off at about 150hz. So maybe there is a larger HT Satellite or smaller bookshelf that would work well for me or a something with nicely ported 2-4" midrange? I see lots of high end stuff is D'Appolito, maybe I could use one like that? I've noticed many small speakers are 3" drivers, I feel like I won't be getting anything better.

My listening room is small 108 x 159 rectangle and I listen in a 108 x 108 square as the rest of the room is bookshelves and storage.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

What I have:

1 Sansui 7070 Reciever - no surround
1 Sony STR-DE715 Control Center which has 5.1

All of my processing can be done by my Audigy 2 sound card - so I don't need to spend any money in that department - I just need the horsepower of an amp.

I am willing to build my own speakers or modify. However skill comes into play. I can build a box, but not much more complex. Bought boxes are good.

Minumus 7, Advent Baby, Logitech Z-5500 system?
Old 17th August 2008, 06:49 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

You ask at an interesting time. I was about to start my smallest design ever, using the HiVi M4N and (probably) the Dayton ND20. These will be very simple boxes to construct, and will measure about 5.5"W x 9"H x 8"D.

The drivers themselves are a steal at the price; the challenge will be: how well can I make them work together for the least amount of money?

Anyway, I was planning on putting the boxes together tomorrow, then measuring them once that was done. Depending on how well it works, I could have the project done in a few days.

There are a few small DIY designs out there (like what you are looking for), but I feel like not nearly as many as there could be. So I figured I'd take a crack at it. Building speakers is fun, and I highly recommend you give it a shot. Email me if you are interested: Undefinition a t a o l dotcom.
Old 17th August 2008, 09:07 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Mysticle31 Send a message via MSN to Mysticle31 Send a message via Yahoo to Mysticle31
That's good. Becouse the shelf on the desk by the wall is 8.5" and change high. It would be rad to have a speaker that tall, that puts out big sound for it's size, look like it's part of the desk.

I bought some optimus 7s to play with. Building something simple is not out of the question though.
Old 17th August 2008, 09:25 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Dimensions.

What's the best I can do with something that is max 5"W, 8 5/8H, 11" D.

I can add width up to a couple inches if it helps anything, say 7".

Hide this!Advertise here!