Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

reference 3a woofer design
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th August 2008, 09:53 AM   #1
DAMIC is offline DAMIC  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Default reference 3a woofer design

Hi,

Any idea, how they manage to make the woofer that do not need any x-over.

http://www.reference3a.com/

regards,
Old 29th August 2017, 12:56 AM   #2
GringoAudio is offline GringoAudio  Canada
diyAudio Member

They don't manage to make a woofer that doesn't need a crossover. It really DOES need one.
Have you seen how badly the MM deCapo measures in the Stereophile review? Yet they like them? Everything in that review and the measurements section SCREAMS for a decent crossover to tame the peaks at the very least. And running a 7" full range? Cone breakups are going to happen. Seriously a snake oil product.
A guy in town is selling some at a decent price and is willing to bring them over for an audition. I am tempted to waste his time and have him bring them by. Stay tuned ...
Reference MM de Capo i loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com
Old 29th August 2017, 12:59 AM   #3
planet10 is offline planet10  Canada
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I’ve heard them, a long time ago… not too bad. From the measures the woofer issues are at about 1 kHz, it is the tweeter that needs taming.

dave
Old 29th August 2017, 01:55 AM   #4
eriksquires is offline eriksquires  United States
diyAudio Member

With some models, the tweeter phase is as much suspect as the lack of a LP filter on the woofer. They measure pretty funky.

Best,

E
Old 29th August 2017, 02:30 AM   #5
system7 is offline system7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I'll have a go at this. A woofer that doesn't need a crossover.

SEAS The Art Of Sound Perfection

Actually, there IS a crossover. It's a simple inductive 3.5mH coil built into the voice-coil. This works well with a 10" bass cone which has a certain natural damping.

By the time you get down to 6" cones, you possibly need a plastic or polycone woofer to stay well behaved. Like the old Vifa P17. In fact the Vifa didn't have huge voicecoil inductance, so you just added a mH or so.

But really, I never understand what people think is great about no crossover. Even with the SEAS A26, a certain amount of electrical shaping is a good thing.

The theory goes that electrical damping is far more linear than mechanical damping. Maybe a bit of both works best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WD25 EX Peter Comeau.JPG (24.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg WD25 EX Crossover.JPG (26.9 KB, 59 views)

reference 3a woofer designHide this!Advertise here!