Good for a dipole midbass array?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was looking at the buyouts on Parts Express and found this driver:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=299-828&scqty=24

*Le: .77 mH
*Impedance: 8 ohms
*Re: 7.5 ohms
*Fs: 40 Hz
*SPL: 85 dB 1W/1m
*Vas: 1.57 cu. ft.
*Qms: 5.07
*Qes: 1.41
*Qts: 1.10
*Xmax: 6.5 mm

What kind of extension could I expect down low in U baffles? These would be Midbass only till around 2-300hz so the c-t-c spacing doesn't concern me...I would probably use 12 per side.

This will be strictly for music (all genres) and I'm trying to decide whether to go with 2-4 large drivers (15s or 18s) in H baffles or two line arrays of midbass drivers...the midrange would be handled by line arrays of 3 inch drivers and tweeters...

Thanks!

-Serg

How low it goes depends on how loud you want it to go.

Xmax of 6.5 mm is good, but an 8 inch with the same Xmax will go a little lower.

Three good dipole designs:
Linkwitz’ Phoenix & Orion, and john k’s NaO all use 8 inch as mids, crossed at the lower end iirc at 100 or 120 Hz.

For bass, the Orion uses 2 * 10 inch (Xmax of 12 mm) to get with EQ flat to about 40 Hz, the Phoenix 2 * 12 inch (Xmax of 12 mm) to get with EQ flat to about 30 Hz.

Google Linkwitz Phoenix for the theory

Cheers

Well I figure with 12 of them per side I can get away with having them play lower...

I atleast want them to play most music (rock especially) without an immediate need of bigger woofers. Down to 50hz or so would be splendid...the don't need to go terribly loud, the room is 10 x 20 feet and extremely "live"...

I am thinking of scrapping the 3 way idea now and just using these woofers with a large array of tweeters and some EQ, thoughts?

If you play rock, you want I think at least 105 dB capability.

You won’t need multiple tweeters.

12 * 6.5 per side would probably do the dB, but with what wiring & ohms, and what amp to drive it?

If you want dipole bass to 50 Hz, why not just parallel two appropriate size drivers, a minimum of 10 inch.

Fastone -

I was wishin I had some dough when I saw those.

Wondered why you were thinking 3 way as they go to 4500 but didn't look at charts if available.

Not sure I'm following you but 12 is pretty tall? Are you going straight up or 2 abreast?

Why not a combo of those with Dayton Neo's and a Sub?

I see all kinds of possibilities.

Bluto

Bluto said:
Fastone -

I was wishin I had some dough when I saw those.

Wondered why you were thinking 3 way as they go to 4500 but didn't look at charts if available.

Not sure I'm following you but 12 is pretty tall? Are you going straight up or 2 abreast?

Why not a combo of those with Dayton Neo's and a Sub?

I see all kinds of possibilities.

Bluto
Just bought them :D

They are going vertically, stacked up as close as possible they are going to be around 6-7 feet tall each...

Eventually I am going to add dual taped horns for movies...

Cheers!

-Serg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.