A twin-WR125ST tower concept

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have two pairs of WR125ST's which I've been experimenting with and I'm launching this concept with Tim's Alegria Audio Rosa floorstander as a jumping-off point.

Here's the link: homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FAL/box-plans/rosa-wr125-TMM-map.gif
(Thanks to Dave D at Planet 10 for hosting the box plan library.)

1. I'm intending to use twin WR125ST's
2. I'm flexible about the tweeter, but at the moment I have a pair of Foster ribbons, which I like, and which (to my ears) sound suited for the purpose.
3. I plan to use the same cabinet volume, port diam & length, and general shape (tall floor-stander).
4. I plan to use some novel (or at least unusual) materials to make construction easy.

Attached is my first concept sketch. It shows - in plan x-section - the general arrangement. The tweeter isn't shown, but it is mounted above the two WR's, and all three are mounted as close as possible together, and are centralised on the front baffle.

The "sides" are two hemi-cylinders of PVC stormwater pipe.

The front baffle and the rear plate will be held apart by rectangular bits of MDF/ply. These COULD be "Swiss-cheesed", a la Planet-10, but I don't see the need, as there will be a top-to-bottom "half-pipe" on either side. The edges of the PVC pipe will fit flush with the front (& rear) baffle because there will be a step routed for the full height either side front (& rear). On final assembly the pipe edges will be glued to the baffles. For test-fits, the whole lot can be held assembled with straps/tape.

The top and base will be a bit tricky to cut, but will basically just plug flush with the end of the "tube".

To finish the whole thing, I plan to just wrap the thing in veneer! (Should be easy!)

Anyone interested in building a pair also?

cheers

Doug

Attachments

• mutant rosa pic 4.jpg
    mutant rosa pic 4.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 377
Look interesting Doug. Thought about diffracting the rear of the cabinets? I know the WR/FR in shallow boxes work well when there is some sort of diffraction device inside (rebated circles, foam triangles etc).

As for tweeter, and being WR125STs, you have near unlimited options. Well, comes down to sensitivity and the like, but you can get away with a crossover point that works best with the tweeter, not a combination of trade offs for either driver. Experiment with other tweeters, you may even find one that sounds better to your ears than the Foster!

sfreak said:
Look interesting Doug. Thought about diffracting the rear of the cabinets? I know the WR/FR in shallow boxes work well when there is some sort of diffraction device inside (rebated circles, foam triangles etc).

Thanks Dan. I'll try this.
I presume that the effect (of diffraction from the back wall) lessens with distance from the projected centre of the drivers. Is there any guiding rule of thumb with regard to at what distance additional diffraction surface gives no further gains? (So, for example can we say 200% of the projected area? 400%?) How much is enough?

cheers

Doug

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.