Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th August 2008, 07:55 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CZ Eddie
The only thing holding me back right now on these Karlsons is trying to fit them with my current towers. If I could do that, then I would go forth and build some MCM's.

I have some Marantz MA500 monoblocks that would probably work well for powering the Karlson enclosures.
But I have no idea the best way to cross them over at 150-250hz while sending the rest to my towers.

I didn't see any active crossovers out there, other than for car audio. Which I could incorporate into this scenario using a DC/AC converter.

But that almost sounds like a waste of money. Surely there are better options out there that will not only let me have a 2/way crossover but also be able to adjust the volume of the Karsons to match with my towers?
yup . . . think pro audio . . . I have a VERY cheap DOC active xover that allows just what you're looking for . . . shop around on ebay, or if you want new, Guitar Center, and you'll find something for under $100 ., . . . . and those Martanz Monoblocks sound liek just the ticket

Old 19th August 2008, 02:55 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by freddi
I don't control the K-forum - its Gregg Baker's greggbaker-at-gainclone.com
I'll check with him soon. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by norman bates
hmm..........

midbass and punch.

You mean sounds punchy ?
Or a bass drum that hits you viscerally like a real drum ?

punchy sound I got from the pioneer b20 crossed to a piezo time aligned at 5khz.
pleasing 2nd order harmonics and time alignment went a long way.

Now midbass, that 200-80hz region that so many theaters lack (especially home theaters), 1 15" a side worked much better than an 8" 3 way, then 2 x 15" a side worked well at high volumes (1 used with bsc inductor) (crossed to a ev hp640) time aligned 24db/octave/lr crossover. These were eminence gamma 15" costing maybe $80 each. But don't let their 3mm xmax fool you. and I ran subs below them. I think their qtc .707 was near 3ft3 with a f3 of 75hz.

4 x 15" gave impact, like an explosion hitting you. My 4 x 18's sub would shake you, but these did drum impact. Think old stone temple pilots drum stuff. Only thing I had that did better was a w-bin but you had to be > 10' away and there wasn't much below 100hz.

Norman
Midbass "punch" is what I'm after. Like the DTS blip at the beginning of movies. The one that starts out as a multi-tone at low frequencies and then ramps up to a higher multi-tone frequency. Well with the right system, that sound just feels incredible!

In my last house (smaller living room), I don't know what it was about the accoustics in that room, but I "felt" all the music. And the only thing that's changed since is the room (larger & open now), a/v receiver and the subwoofer is now a ported 18 instead of a sealed 15.

I think it's mostly room related. But the situation has made me realize just how much I enjoy that "punch" feel. So I want to not just bring it back, but accentuate it.

Thanks for the speaker suggestions!

Quote:
Originally posted by bottom_feeder

yup . . . think pro audio . . . I have a VERY cheap DOC active xover that allows just what you're looking for . . . shop around on ebay, or if you want new, Guitar Center, and you'll find something for under $100 ., . . . . and those Martanz Monoblocks sound liek just the ticket

What is a DOC? I searched eBay electronics for "doc" and didn't get anything. I then yahoo searched the keywords "doc, active, crossover" and other than a single hit about someone named "Doc B." who built an active crossover but didn't have any other info, I didn't find anything.

Hide this!Advertise here!