Any Tannoy 800 users on 300B SET amps? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd March 2003, 06:32 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Any Tannoy 800 users on 300B SET amps?

All,
I am considering buying a pair of 800's for use with my 300B SET amps and am looking for others experiences with this combination.

Thanks,
ck
Old 23rd March 2003, 05:42 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Any Tannoy 800 users on 300B SET amps?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ciscokid
All,
I am considering buying a pair of 800's for use with my 300B SET amps and am looking for others experiences with this combination.

Thanks,
ck
I had some of the similar 63x series speakers as rears when I had a HT setup a while back. Quite a nice speaker in absolute terms, but not the best Tannoy. Whilst they're reasonably efficient, they have a very wonky impedance curve and seem to need a fair anount of power for them to get up and boogie. If you play small jazz pieces at low levels, a low power SET will be fine IMO, but rock will sound thin. I had two pairs of 15" Golds to compare them with at the time.

Depending on what you're going to pay for them, a pair of 10 or 12 inch Golds will possibly be better value, and in a decent box are <i>definitely</i> better speakers. But you'll need to hunt some down, and make the boxes, so it's definitely not a plug and play option. The Golds will hold their value much better too, but the 800's can often be found at very good street prices, and now is definitely the time to buy; the market sucks.

Hide this!Advertise here!