Looking for Crossover design service

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Similar Need

I'm refurbing my classic Audionics TL90 speakers, (similar to Radford Studio90) I'm using the original BD25/1 woofers (refoamed); new Morel EM1308 midranges and Dynaudio D28-2 tweeters. I am looking for someone to help me with XO details. There is a lot going on in that area of expertise that leaves me "baffled".

Has anyone used Madisound LEAP service. I know SOLEN in Canada does design and build XO work. I have no experience with either (yet).

No doubt this area can be baffling, but IMO much of the "baffle" (pun intended) has its roots in "fashion" rather than in science and engineering. Whoever you choose, make sure the recommendations you get are backed by objective science and not subjective opinion.

My firm specializes in enclosure and crossover design. Don't want to sell my wares in this thread, as there is a separate thread for that where I posted a message recently, but if you want to know more, please visit www.audesine.com.

Thanks.

-Ram

Ramkumar , I see you liberately used Sander Sassen's photograph of his series crossover using RIFA PHE 450 caps (the picture at the prototype section) I dont want to step on your toes, I just say its a good (beatiful imho ) choice. Are you using PHE 450 caps as well by coincidence? I do , and think of building the 12db @ 1khz crossover published by Nelson Pass, here :
http://www.firstwatt.com/downloads/cs-xover-networks.pdf

tritosine said:
Ramkumar , I see you liberately used Sander Sassen's photograph of his series crossover using RIFA PHE 450 caps (the picture at the prototype section)

Oops...thanks for pointing that out. We had a set of "stock photos" to choose from and knowing how pictures are liberally copied without regard for copyright, we chose one that seemed to present the least risk. After nearly 2 years, we now know Murphy was around!

Now corrected on Audesine.com. It is always better to put up your own 2nd rate photo than infringe someone else's copyright. (btw the photo you see now is a custom 3rd order version of a Tannoy HPD385A crossover we designed and built for a customer in the USA.)

Many thanks again!

-Ram

tritosine said:
Are you using PHE 450 caps as well by coincidence?

Missed responding to that specific question. Yes, have used the polypropylene dielectrics which are good because they have low dissipation factors, the Evox-Rifa PHE series included. Some "lesser" brands such as Parts Express are available with much tighter tolerances too, and they are great bang for the buck.

If you are building precision equipment the [metallized] polyprops are not as temperature stable as the mixed dielectrics and the now-obsolete polycarbonates. But for passive crossovers I think they are just fine.

-Ram

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.