Spiral Shaped Transmission Line Enclosure Project Complete

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• finishedweb1.jpg
    finishedweb1.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 3,199
Acknowledgements

Acknowledgements:
First, I’ll mention only a few people, but I wanted to do it immediately because I could never have accomplished this without some serious help. Martin King e-mailed with me when I had questions, stupid ones, about his marvelous T-Line Mathcad worksheets. My wife is infinitely patient; for whatever reason, I don’t know. DIYaudio Forum>Loudspeakers was a primary source, including such knowledgeable and helpful persons—patient, too, with my stupid questions—as David Dlugos (Planet10), Peter D. O’Connell (Kelticwizard), Andrew Faust (faustian bargin), Sch3mat1c, Steve and a few others I’m forgetting . In addition, Bob Brines’ website is pretty good.

Thanks a million everyone! If you belong in that list, let me know.

audioPT said:
Little coloured snakes!
They have tweeters in the eyes? :cannotbe:

The sound is satisfactory or good?

Let us know!

If you examine the close-up photo, you'll be able to make out that only ONE of the eyes contains a tweeter. Pretty neat, eh?

So far, I can say with confidence that the sound is good, and it might be very good. I haven't listened at medium to high levels yet. The bass is very nice. It makes me happy. :)

Dave

The Sound

I'm about three days into listening, and I have this critique: At some point in low-level listening in a small room, the very low-bass disappears. I'm guessing stuff below 80 Hz (where is low E on a bass guitar?).

There are a few reasons why this could be so. Low levels, small room, and the program material.

For some reason, I've been in the mood for material recorded live, not in the studio. I'm not sure about the integrity of certain Grateful Dead recordings, specifically, "Reckoning" and "Grateful Dead"on CD. In addition, I've been listening to the DG recording of Anda's performance of the Mozart Piano Concertos on CD. Not sure about those recordings either.

I accidentally played UT2003 with them on. HOLY MOLY! Hyped low-midbass for the kiddies is astounding! But I won't found a critique on that basis. But WOW!

Again, so far, considering the control environment and listening material, my critique is that the low, exceedingly low bass, disappears.

I plan to listen to Led Zeppelin's "Presence" on vinyl sometime this week at higher levels. That should yield a fuller critique.

Dave

kneadle said:
Ok, so then I'm losing the bass frequencies at about 50 Hz in a low-listening level in a small room. Not bad, I should think, for a couple of snakes!

I'll never have to say, "Could you please take your beer off my speaker?":whazzat:

Dave

How about: "Could you please stop your snakes drinking my beer"?

Re. your 50Hz, have you tried experimenting with the stuffing?

Steve

7V said:

Re. your 50Hz, have you tried experimenting with the stuffing?

Not yet. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm so satisfied I'm almost afraid to try.

In fact, now that I look at my stuffing supply, I find that I have only stuffed it half as much as the design specs call for. I figured it will be easier to put in than take out. I suppose the design specs are for something more than just pretty graphs and fancy numbers, though. :)

Dave

Wow

The wiring hole is plugged now, and the correct amount of stuffing is in the pipes. I have now listened to music loudly and quietly, and the response is better than acceptable now. I'm not losing those extra low frequencies at any volume.

Right now I'm listening to Led Zeppelin the way God intended--on vinyl--and, man, they knew how to make records back in those days.

At any rate, the bass is smooth and "controlled," I guess you could say. There's no hyping anywhere in the bass through the midbass frequencies. I'm listening for peaks and valleys throughout the rest of the spectrum, and I can't say that there's no unwanted coloration.

I am being EXTREMELY critical, as much as I can objectively be (I did build them, you know, so of course they're going to be great!), so I might be looking for a frog in the garden. These things are truly much better than my expectations.

Transmission Lines live up to the hype.

Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.