Spiral Shaped Transmission Line Enclosure Project Complete

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: Wow

faustian bargin said:

congratulations on a great project. it's great to have proof that the spiral concept WORKS! :nod:

/andrew - starts imagining a spiral adaptation of pass's "el pipe-o" :goodbad:
thanks. After I stay low around the house for a while, I'm REALLY going to get jiggy with it ;), the shaped-TL concept, that is.

7V said:

There's a long drawn out drum solo on one of the live LPs which is a very good test for speakers, especially for how they image. Have you got that one?

Steve

Are you talking about The Song Remains the Same? Or are you talking about a popular bootleg? I have neither, for the record.

Thanks,

Dave

EDIT** Answered!

Final Tally

I wanted to make sure I posted the actual costs of the entire project (rounded up for convenience sake).

Itemized:

Drivers (Vifa P17WG, D27TG): $145
PVC Pipe and Tees: $43
Hardware (saw, safety glasses, etc.): $25
PC7 Epoxy: $20
Wood for jig: $8
Felt: $6
Mounting (bamboo poles, buckets, sand): $15
Two caterpillars for the baby's room that sound fantastic: Priceless
----------------------------------------------------------

Approximate total cost = $262

You can see that the drivers were over half the cost. Imagine if I had built these with salvaged drivers or more economical drivers!

Thanks all,

Dave

I don't mean to bump this thread for no reason, but I just HAD to share with you all the rousing success this project has proved to be.

1) The boy for whom these speakers were built was finally born, so all his kin came down and thought the project was neat, whether snakes or caterpillars.

2) One of his grandparents gave him a CD, "Jesus Loves Me Fast Asleep!" published by Thrivent Financial for Lutherans. This CD of cheesy music features a recording of an actual human heartbeat. When my bride first played it, I was in another room of the apartment. The bass response was so thorough that I thought it was my neighbors annoying me with flat-tire music. But I eventually was convinced that this noise was distinctly a heartbeat, so I set about tracking it down. There it was, under the music, from deep within the caterpillars, a real heartbeat thundering my son to sleep!

If you have a saw, a couple hundred USD, and a kid on the way, this is the project for you. Get busy!

Dave

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Dave:

I started having computer problems about the same time you finished the speakers, so I didn't get a chance to congratulate you for finishing the project in such a spectacular way. One good thing about the delay, though-now I get to congratulate you about the baby as well! ;) ;)

Indeed! Congratulations are in order!

a baby is the greatest DIY project you could ever work on. our little girl will be one year old on July 1. :)

so, how about some specs on your new project: DOB, name, weight, length, pictures? (you don't have to show us the innards though.)

...maybe in another thread, if you'd prefer.

:cool:

/andrew

The beneficiary of the caterpillars designed with DIYaudio Forums help is Thomas, pictured below. He was 8lbs. 6 oz. (don't know how many grams that is) at birth, and 22 3/4" tall, DOB 4-25-2003.

So the DIY project is completely complete.

Dave

Attachments

• growingcaterpillar.jpg
    growingcaterpillar.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 499
faustian bargin said:
well, some would argue it has only just begun.

...or at least, the long tweaking process is started. good luck with that.

$$$ :eek: many many upgrades and additional components...

/andrew

***edit - PS: good-lookin little guy. happy days!

Heh heh, I didn't get it at first, but right now I'm waiting for him to eat before I can eat...

Man, how much is this DIY project going to cost me?!?:bawling:

Thanks for all the compliments, everyone. I couldn't have done half of it without you all.

Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.