Help me align this 15 in a vented enclosure?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

For a while now I've been running (and tweaking) LaScala DIY enclosures under an Altec 902/811 combo. My final intention was to go passive, but I've been holding off because I wanted to make sure that it would sound reasonable using the DCX2496. In other words, I don't want to start dumping boat loads of tweak time and $$ on passive components if the whole thing is going to be unsatisfactory.

I think I've come to the conclusion that it is unsatisfactory. Although the dynamics are amazing, it simply doesn't sound good to me. The issue is definitely (imho) the upper bass trying to make it's way thru that folded horn, and the funny noises that result. I've been everywhere on the xover with all types of alignments....:dead:.

Most people say it sounds fine, They aren't hearing what I'm hearing.

So, I think I might want to try a simple vented enclosure a-la Model 19. The woofers I have are built by Eminence to imitate the original K33 Klipsch woofer. The parameters are:

CW1526C cast frame 15" woofer

FS is 26.3, Re is 3.36, VAS is 506.3 Liters, BL is 12.49, QM is 9.93, QE is 0.27, QT is 0.26. Sensitivity is 97 db. Coil is 1 mH.
Pmax is 150 watts. Xmax is 7.15 mm, MMS is 75.5 grams, Cms is 0.486 mm/N

I need to keep things under 5 cubic feet. The enclosures will be close to the rear wall. Vented alignments certainly aren't my forte, and other than just plugging numbers into winIsd and getting the result - I will probably get into trouble.

So, I plugged some numbers into winIsd and here it is. Can it be improved? (of course it can - but how?)

Thanks!

4.5ft^3 / Ql=7 / 2 X 3" vents 7" long

Attachments

• plot.png
    plot.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 225
Choky, You must have had that ready - you mind reader;)

Thanks!

Looks like WinIsd has similar results to that software. The second one is too big, although it would be nice. Do you think something slightly larger than the first one would be adequate 'in room' for music?

(I don't think 'small' OB is going to give me the impact I am looking for - as I suggested earlier in a different thread)

EDIT and OT:

Lookie looky at the Tuner I found at the Crunchville dump yesterday. It was a 220v unit and I just stuffed a 110 >220 trafo that I had on the floor in the case - walaaaa!

supposed to be a wiked nice tuner...

Attachments

• tuner.jpg
    tuner.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 213
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
mpmarino said:
Choky, You must have had that ready - you mind reader;)

Thanks!

Looks like WinIsd has similar results to that software. The second one is too big, although it would be nice. Do you think something slightly larger than the first one would be adequate 'in room' for music?

(I don't think 'small' OB is going to give me the impact I am looking for - as I suggested earlier in a different thread)

EDIT and OT:

Lookie looky at the Tuner I found at the Crunchville dump yesterday. It was a 220v unit and I just stuffed a 110 >220 trafo that I had on the floor in the case - walaaaa!

supposed to be a wiked nice tuner...

tuner for sissies :rofl: ........ too much knobs :clown:

now I have few issues with my net connection ( too slow) , but soon it works as usual , I'll send ya that proggie I'm using .... so play with it .

of course - completely legal , as soon you buy me a beer ( or it was bear ........ dunno ;) )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.