Fountek & Peerless Design - Construction Details Inside!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Fountek & Peerless Design - Construction Details Inside!

Hi All,

Just thought I would post this good looking design using Fountek & Peerless drivers.

R360
1x Peerless 830883 Exclusive 6.5" woofer
1x Fountek Jp3.0 Ribbon 3" (65mm)
260_blue3-13.JPG

R260
2x Peerless 832873 Woofer 5" Nomex
1x Fountek Jp3.0 Ribbon 3" ( 65mm)
260_blue2_444.jpg

http://www.wagner.net.au/speakers/SiliconChip_files/SiliconChip_Dec07.pdf

http://www.stonessoundstudio.com.au/stone/ribbon_speaker_kit/360_specs.htm
http://www.stonessoundstudio.com.au/stone/ribbon_speaker_kit/260-260c_specs .htm

tktran303 said:
This is a commercial speaker.

The Silicon Chip "review" is not really a review, but an advertising feature. I have read that issue.

Yes but all details are given to build this speakers with buying the kit : box plans with details damping methodolgy, and crossover schematic. This design seems to be supported by fountek since there linked it on there website. Hower drivers used in the design are quite good, choosen crosspoint between midwoofer and tweeter to. I will mount one pair this 360 this end year with my onw design box.

Marc

I think the Fountek tweeter is fairly efficient @95dB, it should be matched with an equally efficient woofer, there are not many efficient woofers in Australia(in the States yes) that well priced eg about $150each and easy to lay my hands on.

BTW there is nothing wrong with Peerless woofers.

ttan98 said:
I think the Fountek tweeter is fairly efficient @95dB, it should be matched with an equally efficient woofer, there are not many efficient woofers in Australia(in the States yes) that well priced eg about $150each and easy to lay my hands on.

BTW there is nothing wrong with Peerless woofers.

I don't think so. I have on hand a pair of Fountek JP3 that a match with the Scanspeak 15w4531g00 midwoofer. this have the same efficiency that the 830883. The crossover was a serie one. It works perfectcly to my hear and many other that heard the speakers.

Marc

Idefixes said:

I don't think so. I have on hand a pair of Fountek JP3 that a match with the Scanspeak 15w4531g00 midwoofer. this have the same efficiency that the 830883. The crossover was a serie one. It works perfectcly to my hear and many other that heard the speakers.

Marc

I am not saying it does NOT match the Peerless is just that I prefer more efficient woofer say >94-95dB. The woofer you are using is an excellent one as well.

This is because I prefer to use low powered amplifier.

I don't know about the performance of the Jp3.0, but Zaph tested the NeoCD2.0 and said:

"...Of the three true ribbons [in his test], this has the best performance above 4kHz. It has the worst performance at 2kHz, rendered somewhat irrelevant because they are all terrible at 2Khz. It's excellent 4kHz+ performance is more obvious in the HD sweeps than the single and multitone spectrums however. Smooth response curve. Poor vertical off axis response."

He also said about the Bohlender Graebener Neo3 PDR, a much less expensive tweeter:

"This B&G tweeter outperformed everything here, in most cases by a large margin...."

Then he says, regarding the one dome tweeter he tests in this group:

"This cheap little dome tweeter [Vifa D26NC55] outperforms everything here except for the B&G Neo3 PDR in the non-linear distortion department. It works well at 2kHz like the B&G, but has ever so slightly higher HD everywhere else. On the other hand, this tweeter beats the Neo3PDR in response smoothness and the resulting smooth CSD...."

From this I would bet the Fountek tweeter in this design is a poor value and much more can be had from much less expensive traditional domes.

I would also say the ScanSpeak woofer in the ZD5 may be superior to the Peerless, however the 830883 is an excellent performer and a great value in the dollar for dollar comparison.

My money (literally) would be on the ZD5, but for best value I would mate the Peerless driver with one of the "27T" tweeters from SEAS.

Hmm...

In his summary Zaph says:

"I often hear people babble on about the shimmer, sparkle and air of ribbon tweeters. These tests show where these "special effects" are coming from - distortion. Ribbons do have a unique distortion profile that many will find enjoyable with some music. That's OK, and it does not have to relfect badly on your "golden ear" status. However, if accuracy to the original signal is what you are after, one of these ribbons may not be the best solution. Ribbons are certainly not the best solution if you want to build a high-value system...."

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.