Deciding on design / kit for first build - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd August 2008, 09:05 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Deciding on design / kit for first build

I want to build a pair of speakers for my new house which should be done later this year. I am having a hard time deciding what to get though. I have mainly been looking at the Zaph designs (specifically the L15, L18, and BAMTM). I have also looked at the Parts Express Usher 701, RS621 and and RS722 MTM.

The speakers will be run along side a flat panel TV. The room will be approximately 15x30 with the TV/audio in the corner probably at a 30% angle or so from the wall with a few feet behind. I am planning on getting a 100x2 stereo receiver, possibly one of the Denon units, though I'm really not sure about a receiver / amp.

I'm fairly new to home audio, having done some car audio and other electronics work in the past. I am planning on spending around $1000 for the audio system including amp. I like the Zaph designs but I don't have woodworking tools and have never used a router before so cutting the baffles might be a bit of a problem. I was also looking at the Usher 701 kit, but I haven't seen much feedback on them, which is important considering they are quite a bit more expensive than the Zaph L18.

I also have a sub available, a very nice CDT Audio sub previously used in my car, which put out probably the cleanest bass I've ever heard in a car and easily able to handle 750+ W rms, so I think it would fit nicely hidden behind the TV.

The only person I know of who is really into audio does not do DIY stuff, he recommended either Paradigm or B&W speakers though I really like to build things, especially if I can get the same or better quality of sound for a fraction of the cost.

I will probably be buying woodworking tools next year so I may build some other designs, but I want to have an audio system set up for when the house is finished since it will be right before the holidays and I will be having people over to visit. My budget is more of a guideline and I could certainly spend more or less depending on what would be best for the room, but I want something better than the lowest value speakers, and I don't want to spend $10k either.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hide this!Advertise here!