Small first project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey everybody here is the deal: I have decided to try and build a new set of enclosures for my desktop speakers as an introduction to building speaker enclosures. I have some experience building sub woofer enclosures, but that is easy if you have the dimensions already given to you.

Here is what I am working with:
Klipsch Pro Media Ultra 5.1 surround system

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/promedia-ultra-5-1.aspx#specifications

Here are some pics of the center channel opened up:

DSC00806.jpg

DSC00807.jpg

The enclosure is made of thin plastic, and I am thinking that a solid birch or MDF enclosure could help the sound a bit. Also, I cannot find any info on these drivers so I am having a hard time designing an enclosure. The Klipsch engineering department holds their information like Fort Knox! they wont give me ANY information on the T/S parameters, volume recommendations, etc. All said and done I need some help with the enclosure design... can anyone help me??

Thanks for the quick response! I will try to measure them myself... but I am fearing the accuracy of such readings :D Either way it will give me a good experience like you said.

Also, once I get the required measurements, all I will need to do is put them into WinISD and use the dimensions given?

Ok, so what are my tolerances for measureing the volume? I know that I should be as accurate as I can, but I am wondering if I am off by a given amount, it will cancel out any benefit of me building better enclosures?

Basically, how important is the volume of the box, and how accurate do I need to be in order to improve the acoustics of the speakers?

Thanks in advance :)

For sealed box it's not critial. It is more important for vented box.

No offence but this is strictly a learning exercise and I don't think you can expect brilliant results with reboxing this speaker. So just try the best you can in terms of understanding the process and take the experience and knowledge on to making something better.

I suspect the drivers will be high Q so limited to a sealed box.

Hi,

The tweeters appear to use a waveguiide in the baffle and will
not easily mount into a standard baffle, the bass unit would
also need an exact fitting hole, not particularly easy.

TBH I'd consider simply damping the walls (spray on bitumen
car underseal) and using PVA wood glue on the shell joints.
PVA will work as long as you do not open them up again.

If they were not well stuffed, do so.

:)/sreten.

Thanks for the ideas. They were stuffed already. I thought the same thing about the tweeter and mid-rage drivers... Unfortunately I think that I just might bag the idea of new boxes :( and do what sreten advised, and coat the inside with something that will dampen it, and glue the joints. Where can I get some of the bitumen underseal? Thanks again for your guys' input.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.