Ekta Grand - Changing crossover components from Jantzen to Mundorf - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2008, 01:30 AM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Default Ekta Grand - Changing crossover components from Jantzen to Mundorf

Hi All,

I in the process of ordering the drivers and crossover components for the Ekta Grand.

The original design uses Jantzen Audio caps, coils and resistors. I gather these could be substituted for another brand, I am toying with the idea of using Mundorf as the major brand. This increases the cost, but would provide significant improvements when using the R2904 tweeter?

Some of the parts by Mundorf don't match the original design, example is the coils:

1. 1.2mH/0.33ohm be substituted with a 1.2mH/0.55ohm
2. 0.47mH/0.33 be swapped for 0.47mH/0.32ohm

If I did an A/B comparison between the two designs could anyone tell the difference that one was Jantzen and the other Mundorf?

Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2008, 01:46 AM   #2
bastek is offline bastek  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NY
It won't be an audible difference, unless you can hear mosquitoes flying across the room. Is that the Troels design? I don't recall the R2904 tweeter in this design.
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2008, 02:53 AM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sydney
Quote:
1. 1.2mH/0.33ohm be substituted with a 1.2mH/0.55ohm
2. 0.47mH/0.33 be swapped for 0.47mH/0.32ohm

2 would not have any audible difference. 1 WILL.

For 1, you can use a lower DCR coil padded with resistors, but you can't add DCR to it, unless there is a resistor in series in which case you can reduce that resistor to match.

I found any resistance change over 0.1R is higher audible, even though simulation would show 0.1-0.2dB difference. I don't claim to have golden ears but have been tuning my speakers using as low as 0.05R increments and found difference every time.

Any reasonably well made air coil inductors with the same inductance and same DCR sound the same, and there is no point paying for the expensive stuff. However, capacitors of similar or "identical" specifications can sound very different, likely due to some "unmeasured" distortions.

Whereabout in Australia are you?
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2008, 07:00 AM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally posted by HiFiNutNut



2 would not have any audible difference. 1 WILL.

For 1, you can use a lower DCR coil padded with resistors, but you can't add DCR to it, unless there is a resistor in series in which case you can reduce that resistor to match.

I found any resistance change over 0.1R is higher audible, even though simulation would show 0.1-0.2dB difference. I don't claim to have golden ears but have been tuning my speakers using as low as 0.05R increments and found difference every time.

Any reasonably well made air coil inductors with the same inductance and same DCR sound the same, and there is no point paying for the expensive stuff. However, capacitors of similar or "identical" specifications can sound very different, likely due to some "unmeasured" distortions.

Whereabout in Australia are you?
Hi,

I made an error with 1. it is:

1.2mH/0.33ohm be substituted with a 1.2mH/0.34ohm
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2008, 07:28 AM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Quote:
Originally posted by soundengine355


Hi,

I made an error with 1. it is:

1.2mH/0.33ohm be substituted with a 1.2mH/0.34ohm
You will not notice that difference at all. Keep up posted on your progress building the Ekta Grande!

Scanspeakman
__________________
Scanspeak rules!
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2008, 07:30 AM   #6
MadMutt is offline MadMutt  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
I wouldn't think the values will make any difference at all.
Too small to worry about in my opinion.

Where abouts are you getting the parts from ?

Would love to see pics of the build etc.
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2008, 11:38 AM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Bu the way, why do you want to use Mundorf instead of Jantzen? I have recently upgraded my filters with Jantzen wax copperfoil coil for mid and the sound is great. Jantzen is in my opinion as good as Mundorf but more reasonably priced.

Scanspeakman
__________________
Scanspeak rules!
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2008, 04:39 PM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
I'm using Clarity cap for my Ekta Grande crossovers. I'd love to use Mundorf, but just can't spend the money. It leaves me opportunity to upgrade the crossover components once the speakers are done however.
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 03:18 AM   #9
Richy is offline Richy  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
How is the bass from the Ekta Grand? Would I subwoofer be needed for 2ch music?

Any designs using like a dual 8 or 10" driver?
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 03:29 AM   #10
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Perth, WA
I don't think a subwoofer will be needed for music.

But it depends on what music, and how loud/low you want to listen.

A quad of 7" midwoofers will give significant bass. But then there are people who use a quad of 15" woofers, or think that a 5"
2-way is all they need.

regards,
Thanh.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jantzen Vs Mundorf Vs Solen Vs others bowdown Multi-Way 55 26th March 2013 07:57 AM
Auricap and Jantzen Crossover Caps! cowanrg Swap Meet 3 7th July 2009 08:08 PM
Ekta Grand: Clone soundengine355 Multi-Way 0 12th August 2008 10:24 AM
Grand Utopia crossover question bbksv Multi-Way 4 21st November 2004 09:46 AM
Mundorf Components..... ermes Multi-Way 6 26th June 2004 02:18 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:06 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2