Voight Pipe for Lowther DX-3 ?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st July 2008, 01:17 AM   #1
Steve M is offline Steve M  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Voight Pipe for Lowther DX-3 ??

Just wondering if anyone can point me to a Voight Pipe box design suitable for a Lowther DX-3 or Fostex FE206E ?

I currently run my Lowthers in a Martin King MLTL and while its overall voicing is excellent, I have to say that bass output is negligible or in the very least poor (sorry Martin & Lowther). To put it in context, I recently heard some tiny 4" Fostex FE107's in a small Voight Pipe (Bert Doppenberg Solo design) which were about a third of the size of my Lowther MLTL boxes and, it sounded like there was 2-3 times more bass than my Lowthers - which has got me baffled?

So, are there any tidy (smallish) Voight Pipe designs for Lowthers ?

Thanks in advance ...

Regards,

Steve M.
Old 31st July 2008, 01:20 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

You'd be better off in the Full Range section.

Voigt, please, not Voight... P.G.A.H Voigt you know...

Hmm. Whatever you do with Lowthers, they're never going to be bass monsters. Accepting this of course, first question that comes to mind re your existing boxes is do you have the BSC circuit installed? It's not optional -unless they're rammed into corners or up against a rear wall, this, or some form of active Eq, are essential, or you'll loose 3 - 6db of gain below ~414Hz.

The trad Lowther Club of Norway VP (which is what most people refer to when they speak of the VP) is not a great box -as is, it suffers from a very ragged response & extremely limited LF extension, although it does boost the midbass somewhat over the nominal driver response. If you're interested, this is mainly due to Vb & the vent size being mistuned. I would strongly advise you to leave it, as is.

If you haven't got the correction circuit installed in your MLTLs, I suspect this is the root of your problem & it would also likely explain why Bert's little TQWT seemed like it had more LF grunt when cranked up -as a semi-omni design, it corrects for step-loss itself (& IIRC, it has a bit of a boost across the midbass too), so no losses, relative to the rest of the range.
Old 31st July 2008, 03:04 PM   #3
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Couple it to a high output impedance amp with up to ~20 ohms of variable DF (bass 'boost') as it was designed for and you won't be 'baffled'...........

GM
Old 31st July 2008, 05:26 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Good point. Thanks for the addition Greg.

Given that I own an F2 (DIY build by a friend that he doesn't need any more) I'm not sure how I forgot that option...

Quick clarification of one part of my last post. The 'advise you to leave it, as is' is supposed to say 'advise you to avoid the cabinet, as is'. The harmonic resonances & extra midbass gain rule the LCON VP out for practical use IMO. Sorry for any confusion.
Old 1st August 2008, 01:27 AM   #5
Steve M is offline Steve M  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys...

Scott: Yes, I have got the BSC in place and it does help give you a better sense of bass, however IMO the bass output is still miniscule compared to just about any semi-competent BR speaker. I guess what annoys me about the Lowther MLTL box is that relative to its big size (about 72 litres), it does about as much bass (or less than?) any competent 10 litre BR mini monitor.

GM: I am using Supratek Merlot SET monoblocs. These amps are a high damping factor, low feedback low impedence design. They sound superb on the Lowthers.

I realize the reason for getting something like the Lowther DX-3 is not for its bass attributes, but rather for its point source imaging and communicativeness which it does better than most. IMHO though, things like the Lowther/Fostex's/Corals etc. are not really 'fullrange' speakers in the full sense of the word, as a large spectrum of bass seems to be missing. Don't get me wrong, I am not necessarily a bass freak, but I feel that you always need proper bass to give foundation to music and it greatly enhances the overall enjoyment of music listening.

Regards,

Steve M.

Hide this!Advertise here!