Speaker CAD programs...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone know of any recently updated webpage (wiki, perhaps) listing/discussing all the available speaker CAD softwares?

Here are a couple that I had not heard of before today:

http://gaydenko.com/qloud/

http://gspeakers.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html

Other interesting free (or demo) programs I'd noticed previously include: Cliowin 7 Demo, ARTA demo mode, LspCAD 6.25 Demo and LspCAD 6.25 Lite, Speaker Workshop (free), Basta, and, WinISD and WinISD Pro (both free)

With the Cliowin 7 Demo I can't figure out how to take a measurement?

Last edited:
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Critofur, another very powerful (and free) program is akabak sorry can't coment on cliowin haven't tried it.

there is a great akabak thread here on diyaudio http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/90362-akabak-simulator.html

I've played with it, and it is very powerful. Steep learning curve (but made easier by the dummies guide in the thread above).

and yes Holm Impulse is great :) That's a rediculously flat response you have in your holm graph as well!!!!! is it real?

Tony.

I'm a bit confused about the subject here. Are we discussing speaker CAD software, or just software useful in speaker building, and, are they also supposed to be freeware? Some software mentioned earlier are not much CAD in my opinion, and most given already seem to be available in a free version. Just want the uncertainty to be gone before adding..............?

Well, ANY software which is useful for the design of audio speakers could, at least loosely, be considered "speaker CAD" software, right? None of the audio/speaker specific programs are really full-flegded "CAD" programs in the sense that people normally think of "CAD" (Autocad, Solidworks, etc).

Please, talk about whatever kinds of programs you want, as long as they're helpful in the design and/or testing of loudspeakers.

I just bought SoundEasy finally, but I'm sure I'll be using the other programs for some time to come, as SoundEasy is very much not easy, IMO.

Last edited:
First some measurement tools, and the first batch is Mac biased.
Some things are free, others cost from very little to "very much"
I do hope that something will be of use for someone

spectre
Audiofile Engineering - Spectre

Audio Test (test signal generator) + ProPhase (phase analyzer)
katsura shareware - for creative Mac OS X users

Mac the scope
Mac the Scope

Waavebox (signal generator)
Waavebox

AudioLeak loudness level analyzer (free)
Channel D Software Product Information

FuzzMeasure Pro
FuzzMeasure Pro 3

Electroacoustics Toolbox
Electroacoustics Toolbox v2.1.9 for Macintosh OS X

Downloadable test tones
Realm of Excursion

SigView
Sigview spectrum analyzer - FFT based signal analysis software

Dual Channel FFT
Dual Channel FFT : Free Music Software : FreeMusicSoftware.org

Filter software:

Active filter workshop
Active Filter Workshop

LTspice
Linear Technology - LTspice IV Downloads and Updates
LTspice tutorial
LTspice Tutorial

FRD Consortium (collection of useful tools)
FRD Consortium

ATB PC Pro
kirchner-elektronik.de ATB PC PRO

Audiolense
Juice HiFi

audioTester
audioTester

Sirp, The Edge, XDir (speaker analyzer, baffle diffraction sim and directivity sim (in that order))
Products from Tolvan Data

LEAP-5 etc.
LinearX Systems Inc - Products

MLSSA
DRA Laboratories - MLSSA Acoustical Measurement System

PRAXIS
PRAXIS INFORMATION

Sample Champion
Audio Spectrum Analyzer and Acoustics Software

WaveCapture
WaveCapture

WinMLS
Product Overview

Woofer Tester (the original)
woofertester.com

Jeff Bagby's software
jbagby

AJHorn
AJ-Systems

Bass Box Pro
HT Audio home page

Hornresp
Telstra BigBlog -

LoudSpeaker LAB
Grenander Software Workshop

Loudsoft
Loudsoft.com

Redrock Acoustics
About Redrock Acoustics - LoudSpeaker Design, Testing and Engineering Services Consultants

SPEAK
Speak

What's wrong with Jeff's PCD?

Good place to start, nice program - but, to answer your question:

1) You have to have Microsoft Office and be running Windows.
2) It doesn't measure.
3) Does it have baffle simulation built in? I think it does not have diffraction simulation - but those can be addressed with other free programs.
4) It doesn't have a full crossover CAD system, or the very nice crossover simulators that either LspCAD or SoundEasy have which allow you to listen to your speaker without building the crossover first.

I certainly do recommend it though, still useful, and much less steep learning curve than other programs like Speaker Workshop (and the two mentioned above).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.