Building the Nathan 10 - Page 61 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th August 2008, 12:53 AM   #601
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MEH
When did you compare speakers with "realistic onset feel" to any of Earl's waveguide speakers coupled with multiple subwoofers in order to gain this experience you speak of?
When did anyone compare ANY speaker with live performance of a wide audio spectrum nature?
Old 24th August 2008, 03:05 AM   #602
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by soongsc
Whenever reproduction of a single instrument is played back through two or more drivers, these drivers just need to be as close as possible together. This is no new understanding, just often ignored to gain other effects.
You need to explain that more in depth.
The way you put it I have to answer: No. If you want to reproduce a single instrument it would be better to have as much drivers as necessary to come close to the very unique directivity pattern of that specific instrument.
Stereophony is something completely different.
Old 24th August 2008, 03:11 AM   #603
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by soongsc When did anyone compare ANY speaker with live performance of a wide audio spectrum nature?
There were a lot of comparisons in the past using dummy head recordings. But again: don't forget that the speaker can't be seperated from the recording and the room.
Old 24th August 2008, 04:41 AM   #604
MEH is offline MEH  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:

When did anyone compare ANY speaker with live performance of a wide audio spectrum nature?
Live performance? No one was talking about live performance, but rather about the supposed superiority of speakers with "realistic onset feel" over Earl's speakers combined with multiple subwoofers.
Old 24th August 2008, 05:30 AM   #605
limono is offline limono  United States
diyAudio Member

well , since Earl himself said that in closed box nothing is critical
you can build as big enclosure as you please and drivers parameters allow. It does sound like an enclosure itself is non critical for speaker performance so forget those matrix and Magico enclosure BS.;0)
You guys are too funny I mean for HT and studio mixing of pop/rock muzaks why even bother with any quality, where there is no common factor for any evaluation ??
Old 24th August 2008, 08:29 AM   #606
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MEH

Live performance? No one was talking about live performance, but rather about the supposed superiority of speakers with "realistic onset feel" over Earl's speakers combined with multiple subwoofers.
Comparing two speakers without knowing what a live performance is like is meaningless.
Old 24th August 2008, 08:33 AM   #607
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by markus76

There were a lot of comparisons in the past using dummy head recordings. But again: don't forget that the speaker can't be seperated from the recording and the room.
That is why it is important to know what is effected by the room and what not. Room modes do not come into play until the first reflections. Certainly you won't position the speakers such that the first reflection reaches the listener first.
Old 24th August 2008, 08:48 AM   #608
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by limono
...You guys are too funny I mean for HT and studio mixing of pop/rock muzaks why even bother with any quality, where there is no common factor for any evaluation ??
This is a very good point. I wonder the same thing myself sometimes and ask myself whether it's worth the effort. If all we use the speakers are for those purposes, products from Bose or other even more economically priced products might just be okay. But then there are still people producing music that aim for what we aim for as well, so I think it's still worth it.
Old 24th August 2008, 12:11 PM   #609
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by limono
You guys are too funny I mean for HT and studio mixing of pop/rock muzaks why even bother with any quality, where there is no common factor for any evaluation ??
As I wrote before: the original is what the audio engineer heard in the mixing room. So the mixing room itself is the common factor.

Quote:
Comparing two speakers without knowing what a live performance is like is meaningless.
Of course it's not, because as I said before stereophony isn't capable of recreating the orignal soundfield from a live performance. It has its own features. You can only evaluate features stereophony provides. Talk to an audio engineer. He will tell you that every recording is a product of compromises.
Furthermore there is no natural instrument used in e.g. pop multitrack recordings. So is that type of music meaningless because you can't compare it?

Quote:
That is why it is important to know what is effected by the room and what not. Room modes do not come into play until the first reflections. Certainly you won't position the speakers such that the first reflection reaches the listener first.
There simply is no way that a reflection reaches the listener before the direct sound.
With all that said I still don't understand what you meant by posting this

Quote:
Originally posted by soongsc Well, my experience is that whether you have additional subs is a different issue. The mains should go all the way down as low as possible to preserve realistic onset feel of the recorded low frequency sound source.
Best, Markus
Old 24th August 2008, 01:16 PM   #610
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by markus76

With all that said I still don't understand what you meant by posting this

Best, Markus
I was just wondering whether the low frequency of the Nathans can be extended, then a series of Q&A led to this.

Hide this!Advertise here!