Building the Nathan 10 - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st July 2008, 06:16 PM   #31
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by salas Dr. Geddes sold one of his first kits with teething MDF precut problems to a German client! And he is telling him that precision ISN'T a big deal.

Hi salas,

it's always interesting to hear how people form other countries picture a "typical" German But most of the time a cliché derives from a real world observation and it definitely helps Germany's economy. And yes, there are mean people calling me a perfectionist.

Best, Markus
Old 31st July 2008, 06:22 PM   #32
Luke G is offline Luke G  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gedlee

However, once again I'll say that I have built four of these enclosures and I have no trouble with the edges at all. I prefer a very loose fit enclosure as it is far easier to fill gaps than correct something that is too tight. It is best to have a palm sander for this, but that's a very inexpensive piece of equipment - unlike a table saw and router.
Thanks for the response.

I've got one more question for you, can the waveguides be painted?
Old 31st July 2008, 06:22 PM   #33
gedlee is offline gedlee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by markus76

Would appreciate if you find the time to answer my last postings questions.

Best, Markus
I answered both of the questions posed in your post.

MarKus - you did not answer mine - do you want to return the kit? Once you assemble it no deal, but right now, no problem.

The kits are meant to offer great sound not great looks. And if you are going to paint it with a roller and house paint then clearly looks are not a high priority with you, so I just don't get where you are coming from.
Old 31st July 2008, 06:24 PM   #34
herm is offline herm  United States
diyAudio Member

Markus,

Thanks for posting photos. Now that I have seen someone with
the kit, i am willing to order.

I recommend Acrytech speaker paint, if the rough texture fits
you particular style. I have used it with great success.

http://www.acrytech.com/store.asp?pid=14119

Please keep us updated on your construction progress, and of course
let us know how it sounds...

herm

P.S. I am glad I proofread my own message. I spelled your name with a C too!

P.S.S Dr. Geddes, where do I send the check?
Old 31st July 2008, 06:25 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Luke G

I've got one more question for you, can the waveguides be painted?

I have not painted one as yet, but I don't see a problem as it is just polyurethane. There will be mold release on it and so it should be cleaned very well, but with a good primer there shouldn't be any problem.

I would just assemble the kit and spray the whole enclosure.
Old 31st July 2008, 06:32 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by herm
Markus,

Thanks for posting photos. Now that I have seen someone with
the kit, i am willing to order.

I recommend Acrytech speaker paint, if the rough texture fits
you particular style. I have used it with great success.

http://www.acrytech.com/store.asp?pid=14119

Please keep us updated on your construction progress, and of course
let us know how it sounds...

herm

P.S. I am glad I proofread my own message. I spelled your name with a C too!

P.S.S Dr. Geddes, where do I send the check?

Thanks for the confidence!! I was begining to wonder!

Use
43516 Scenic Lane
Northville, MI 48167

It will be a little while before I build Nathans again as I am in the middle of developing the Abbey and I don't have the room for doing both at the same time. When the Abbey is done and I run some of those kits I'll go back to the Nathan and fill those orders. Anyway you look at it the queue is over a month for anything now. But, you do need to get into the queue to be in the next build. An order for an Abbey now would not make the first build of those. (But then do you really want to be the first )

And Markus, I do appologize for the mispelling.

I've used that paint before and it is great, but requires some specialized spray equipment. I believe that there are spray cans of similar material.
Old 31st July 2008, 06:43 PM   #37
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by markus76

Hi salas,

it's always interesting to hear how people form other countries picture a "typical" German But most of the time a cliché derives from a real world observation and it definitely helps Germany's economy. And yes, there are mean people calling me a perfectionist.

Best, Markus

I actually think that you target the waveguide performance and the complete and straightforward engineering of the project. You are after the sound. You know that you mainly bought acoustics evolution and you are more than willing to put up with some work around imperfections. Dr. Geddes does almost everything himself about the kits, and I am impressed on how a PHD man comes out as a handy man too. Rare combination and a tribute to DIY approach. I am very happy that something surely advanced comes out from here and the first to have are DIYers. The world won't listen. I.e. The audio establishment. Actually you help by BETA testing.

But I also know by having met many German engineers and German people in General, and having dealt with German companies and visited your country for tech and recreation, that conceptually you will never agree that making something dead right fitting and robust , isn't just normally expected. Germans are decent and willing, not compulsive and demanding. Making something exquisite and precise heightens the spirit.

Your challenge would be the Swiss.
Old 31st July 2008, 06:50 PM   #38
Banned

Quote:
I answered both of the questions posed in your post.
To be pedantic: no. You missed the question on lacquer. And another one again: the one on rounding the base.

Quote:
Originally posted by gedlee MarKus - you did not answer mine - do you want to return the kit?
No, why should I? I know someone's own daughters are the prettiest but don't be angry when someone else expresses his observations.

Quote:
Originally posted by gedlee The kits are meant to offer great sound not great looks.
I think nobody will agree on that. If you offer them as a kit they have to be capable of delivering both! The latter part is up to the customer. I strongly agree with John saying "Regarding the whole concept of what is acceptable or not, as a manufacturer or retailer it's not up to us to determine what is acceptable to the customer. That is their job, and it is our job to make it to a level they will accept."

Quote:
Originally posted by gedlee And if you are going to paint it with a roller and house paint then clearly looks are not a high priority with you, so I just don't get where you are coming from.
No need to be sarcastic. I used acrylic paint with good results even when using a roller. Depends on how skilled you are and how good the preparation of the surface you're painting on is.

What lacquer is used on the Ai ones? Such a finish would be an option for me if I don't get the enclosures smooth enough. Is it something similar to DuraTex?

@ John & herm: Thanks!

Best, Markus
Old 31st July 2008, 06:50 PM   #39
Luke G is offline Luke G  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:

I have not painted one as yet, but I don't see a problem as it is just polyurethane. There will be mold release on it and so it should be cleaned very well, but with a good primer there shouldn't be any problem.

I would just assemble the kit and spray the whole enclosure.
I plan on doing white enclosures with a black waveguide, so I'll have to paint them separately. What do you recommend to clean off the mold release prior to painting? I don't want to mess up the polyurethane with something too harsh.
Old 31st July 2008, 06:55 PM   #40
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by salas Your challenge would be the Swiss.
My wife is Swiss...

Hide this!Advertise here!