Building the Nathan 10

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is it in a nutshell, I think. Thanks

At LF's the period of the waves and certainly the time it takes for our hearing to react and recognize a LF signal are actually on the order of the reverb time in a small room. Thus there is no decorrelated signal for our hearing to process at LF in a small room, its basically completely correlated. As I studied this situation I came to realize that it was the modes in the large room that decorrelated the LFs and extended the time of their presence thus yielding a psychoacoustic gain in their perception.

I thought that if we could do this electronicaly at LF for the subs then maybe we could get the sound more like the large room.Turns out that the filter to do this is called a decorrelation filter...

Going to make a bunch of small subs. My present subs are just too big to use here. I've three integrated stereo amps and a DCX so making cheap, tiny subs I can stash away makes sense.

Maybe I'm nuts here but isn't a decoralation filter pretty easy to design in the analogue domain. Isn't it nothing more than a lattice-ladder filter, as in the same filters we use for creating signal delay? If I'm thinking right this could be achieved with 2 opamps and a small handful of resistors and capacitors mounted on strip board (i.e. a very simple circuit).

Simple delay was not my idea and I don't think that the filter that you describe would create a decorrelated signal. It would still be highly correlated but at a delayed time.

You need a back of these filters, all with different delays and random levels. This will decorrelate the signal. Easily done digitally, but a lot of analog circuitry.

noah katz said:
I don't mean to be tiresome, but it seems that the simple explanation is that larger rooms have higher mode density at low freq.

Yes, of course, large rooms have it and small rooms don't. But how do you get this in a small room?

I hypothesized an electronic simulation of a bank of added room modes. When I did this I found that the LF sound field smoothed out almost like that at HF. Then I found that this filter was called a decorrelation filter - also know as a reverberator. But We don't want to do this at HFs, just the LFs.

room lf

Interesting reading.. thanx all..

My experience in my rather largish room 25' x 30' rectangle + 15' x 15' open to kitchen 2 story, maybe 15,000 ft^3 SCREAMS don';t put ANY subs in the corner... else HUGE standing 32 hz wave at the ceiling/floor peak ~17.5 feet that dominates the bass response.

After years of moving first one sub from one corner to another (either room boom or total suckout, depending on the corner) my current setup has 2 12" sonotubes ~1/2 way along shorter walls 2 - 3 ' out, and yields smooth extended bass to below audible freqs. at floor rattling (and drywall joint splitting) levels for both audio and movie HT listening at a large arc maybe 15' across 15' back at the viewing/listening position.

Corner loading in this setup is just plain stupid.

Mathematical calculations may be good for guidance, but with all the assumptions/deletions re: boundary effects or not, trial and error seems to be the best approach. I've tried most of the different setup motifs, and this current setup is by far the best.

Not all of us are limited to small rooms with low ceilings. I'm driving 7.1 surround with 140 wpc on the mains and surrounds, and 300 w/sub for the 2 sonotubes. Not for the faint of heart. Definitely envelopes one into the movie...

I'm not sure how much better this could get, but I'm open to suggestions (short of rebuilding the room w/o windows, drywall, etc.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

John L.

Like I said, we know a guy who supplies the furniture mills and he gives us great pricing on wood. There is a 6' tall stack of 3/4" MDF at the shop now. We get anything from 1/4" to 1 1/4". We are a car audio shop and build a lot of sub enclosures for our customers and other shops.

Ultimate goal is to get a Shopbot.

John_E_Janowitz said:

$10 per sheet?!?! Is this possibly for only 1/4" mdf? We're paying nearly $25 a sheet wholesale now for 3/4" MDF. If you would be able to PM me or email me(john at aespeakers.com) with a contact for the lumber yard I would love to have it. If it really is $10 per sheet I'd seriously consider buying a full truckload and bringing it up here.

John

pedroskova said:
..... Buying some active crossover off the shelf is not much different than buying an Eminence 2nd order ready made passive x-over from Parts Express.

Excuse me, but that is a lot of a difference!

Markus and aubergine, that wasn't meant to be rude. I'm a scientist, too, but most people here are hobbyists and that may lead them to take such statements from a scientist with acoustic expertise like gedlee for granted without thinking about it.

I have no problems with the "high gain" of pro-gear but a lot with the sold "aura" of some highly prized consumer gear ;) It is "professional" to have a high amplification at an early stage in the signal path, that's an old rule in communications engineering!
My 8024 runs between the CD player and my Sony AV Receiver with no problems. But one time I will change the Sony "consumer" receiver with its "unprofessional" unbalanced connections aganist this for example with professional balanced connections:
http://www.d-mpro.com/users/folder.asp?FolderID=4214&CatID=17&SubCatID=165
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Corner subs...

gedlee said:
I have a sub in the corner of my HT and I get pretty good reviews of my system - by other people. I always put a sub in the corner and I always get good impressions by others. Never put two subs in the corners.

Glad it works for you... doesn't work in my room.

Many other listeners agree with this. Changing the phase, changing the sub, putting the sub in the listening location and mapping the room by ear or meter, all yield excessive modal sound vs. mid-wall side loading at the preferred listening locations. So generalizations about stimulating the maximum # of modes don't always work.

John L.

Dr Geddes,

did i understand this correctly, that you process your bass with a decorrelation reverb to smooth the modal response? What is the advantage of this compared to equalizing? And how do you find the correct reverb settings?

This sounds really interesting, as i never have heard such an idea before.

noah katz said:
Ah, so fill in the spaces between the natural modes w/synthesized ones.

This is good for smooth response, but what about overhang from the long reverberation times?

But the long reverberation time at LF is exactly what I want - so long as it is broad band. The problem in a small room is a long decay time at precise frequencies - the modes. What a lot of people don't realize is that a tone in a room does not decay at its driven frequency, but at the frequency of the modes it excites. Example: modes at 30 Hz and 40 Hz and a tone at 35 Hz. When the tone is turned off the decay is at 30 Hz and 40 Hz NOT at 35 Hz. If the tone only excited the 30 Hz mode then it would decay at 30 Hz not 35 Hz. Basically this effect detunes the instrument. The more modes that are being excited by a single tone the closer the decay will be to the original.

If there were a lot of modes then the long decay (reverberation) would be a good thing as it would reinforce the perception of the bass (time versus intensity).

MaVo said:
Dr Geddes,

did i understand this correctly, that you process your bass with a decorrelation reverb to smooth the modal response? What is the advantage of this compared to equalizing? And how do you find the correct reverb settings?

This sounds really interesting, as i never have heard such an idea before.

I don't do that now, I hypothesized that this would improve the bass. When I get multiple subs working right however, I have no complaints with the bass (and neither does anyone else) so I haven't gone as far as to actually test this hypothesis. In a very real sense adding subs is like adding modes. The sub IS a mode, which is why I suggest tuning them all to different frequencies. I do that in my room. Identical subs in symmetrical locations is strongly sub-optimal IMO. Differently tuned subs in random locations has always worked for me.

And please can we move this discussion somewhere else.

Fosti said:

Excuse me, but that is a lot of a difference!

Markus and aubergine, that wasn't meant to be rude. I'm a scientist, too, but most people here are hobbyists and that may lead them to take such statements from a scientist with acoustic expertise like gedlee for granted without thinking about it.

I have no problems with the "high gain" of pro-gear but a lot with the sold "aura" of some highly prized consumer gear ;) It is "professional" to have a high amplification at an early stage in the signal path, that's an old rule in communications engineering!
My 8024 runs between the CD player and my Sony AV Receiver with no problems. But one time I will change the Sony "consumer" receiver with its "unprofessional" unbalanced connections aganist this for example with professional balanced connections:
http://www.d-mpro.com/users/folder.asp?FolderID=4214&CatID=17&SubCatID=165

From this and an earlier post, I get the impression that you are an engineer, or at least, attempting to pass yourself off as one. I happen not to consider engineers and scientists the same thing, and I can say that, the sentiment here at Purdue, a huge engineering school is that, Engineers consider themselves scientists, and those doing the scientific research used by the engineers consider them engineers, i.e. those who take the scientific findings and apply it. That is, of course, a pretty big blanket statement, and both fields will often have their dividing lines blurred, but I think its important to recognize the difference in training and work style between the two groups. Anyway, I'm curious, what is it you do for a living exactly, what is your education in, and did I understand you correctly saying that you have the German doctorate of engineering? What is this specifically in, what area of engineering, and what was your dissertation research on? One reason why I don't take Dr. Geddes words lightly is that I did my homework and read as many of his published works as I could, looked up some of his patents, and have read most of this white papers and web published work.

gedlee said:

Another advantage of multiple subs is that they don't need to be very powerful. One achieves sufficient output through quantity.

But I would say that in a sub the driver particulars and not very important if they are important at all. In a direct radiator distortion might be an issue at very high levels, but in the bandpass that I use the acoustic LP filtering makes even this distortion irrelavent.

Nonlinearity perception is a bandwidth issue. Its the modulation of the upper frequencies by the lower ones that is audible if the distortion is audible at all. A limited bandwidth device, such as a sub, has an inherent advantage in this regard and with a bandpass its simply not even a consideration. I'd just use Paudio drivers - total junk, but it doesn't matter.

Hi Earl,

I have been reading on your site about your subs, but when I look at the dimensions they all are indicated to measure 60cmX60cmX80cm, even the 12inch version. Is this correct? They seem quite huge for 12inch subs?

Jacobus

Re: Question on pricing

gedlee said:
Here is a question that I'll throw out there.

I'd like nothing better than to have all the parts cut at some other shop. But that cost has to be carried by the price.

Would people be willing to pay an extra $100 per speaker to have the pieces cut numerically so they will fit better?

Looking at the simplicity involved, I think non-CNC is more cost effective. The issue is the inspection and acceptance process. If there is a well defined drawing and the supplier does not comply, then they should just be rejected.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.