8 ohm to 4ohm-does the crossover need to change much?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi guys,
i had Solen build me a 2-way(mid/hi(atc 75/150 non S & SS 9700)) crossover,at 8ohms.
this wknd i played around and put both top cabinets together for a MTTM and it sounded spectacular. i ran it off a Classe CA-400.
if i put 2 mids and 2 hi's on each original crossover do i have to change much?
they are a 24db at 380 and 3800hz
thanks John

It depends on the impedance of the individual speakers and how those speakers are wired.

If you have 4 ohm speakers wired in series or 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel, then you are OK.

But of course, the Nominal Impedance means nothing, you want the impedance of the speaker at the crossover point.

I was recently playing around with a crossover designer. I calculated the crossover for an 8 ohms 2-way at 1000hz, then determined at what frequency I got the same capacitor and inductor values but for a 6 ohms speaker system. SIX ohms being far more likely at 1000hz than the nominal 8 ohms.

It turns out to get the same Inductor, I had to drop down to 750hz and to get the same capacitor, I had to move up to 1350hz. That's how far off a crossover is when it is designed to a nominal 8 ohms but the speakers are really 6 ohms at the crossover point.

So, if you go from 8 ohms to 4 ohms, that gap at the assumed crossover point is going to be even bigger.

As a point of illustration -

8 ohms, 3000hz, 12db second order Linkwitz-Riley

C1 = 3.32 µF
L1 = 0.85 mH

C2 = 3.32 µF
L2 =0.85 mH

4 ohms, 3000hz, 12db second order Linkwitz-Riley

C1 = 6.6 µF
L1 = 0.42 mH

C2 = 6.6 µF
L2 = 0.42 mH

http://www.apicsllc.com/apics/Misc/filter2.html

Using 8 ohm values to design a 3000hz crossover but using 4 ohms speakers in the final construction, the coil begins to crossover at 1500hz and the capacitor begins to crossover at 6000hz. That's how far off your crossover is.

For what it's worth.

Steve/bluewizard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.