What does pink noise sound like?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Something is puzzling me but I may not be able to express what I mean. What does pink noise, or even white noise for that matter, really sound like? As it is obviously audible we have to listen to it produced by some kind of transducer. As it also seems that we all hear differently, how does that affect the perceived colouration. The same for the transducers. We cannot hear it on a graph or on an oscilloscope screen so who hears it correctly and what produces it correctly?
jamikl

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Pink noise -- a bit coloured :D White noise is what it says on the tin.
Sorry couldn't resist that !
The definitions are very precise. Look at wikipedia for a full technical description.

Simply put Hiss is like white noise. Filtered Hiss, i.e turning the treble down is like pink noise, but look at the full technical write up.

I have read writeups on what the differences are. that is not what I am asking. I guess I am saying that when somebody says that speaker x is better than speaker y because amongst other things the designer has ensured that it produces pink noise correctly, how can that mean anything. His perception of correct sound of pink noise may be different to yours or is it somehow free of subjective interpretation.
jamikl

Guys,

White noise has equal energy at all frequencies.

Pink noise has equal energy in each octave.

Pink noise is used to "tune" a sound system to compensate for room modes.

When a system is tested using a pink noise source, the results displayed on a spectrum analyzer show a very accurate representation of the frequency response.

Adjustments can be made to graphic EQ or parametric EQ.

When a flat response across the audio spectrum is shown, the system has been "tuned" for that specific room.

Larry

Hi,

White noise sounds like hiss and has limited aural use.

Pink noise sounds "flat" or should. It is quite easy to hear when it
is not, e.g. for bass pink noise up to say 100Hz you can hear the
main room nodes "sticking" out, it does not sound like smooth noise.

Lack if a frequency is not so obvious (also true with music).

We may all hear differently but we all have the same reference, "flat".

This determines that you have e.g. h.f. hearing loss rather than
that most people actually have exaggerated treble syndrome.

FWIW also most people would regard around 3KHz as being
exaggerated in pink noise and prefer the famous "BBC dip".

:)/sreten.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Look up "equal loudness curves." =)

It's a good question - "what does pink noise sound like?" Have any of us ever heard really flat pink noise?

As I worked for years in pro audio live sound, I've used and heard pink noise plenty of times. But coming out of a huge PA in a huge room, or an even bigger PA outside, does not sound the same as it does in my living room with modest speakers. Not even EQ'd "flat".
(And headphones are a whole other story.)

As sreten says, the room modes tend to stick out. Probably a lot of other things goingon, too.

I guess I am saying that when somebody says that speaker x is better than speaker y because amongst other things the designer has ensured that it produces pink noise correctly, how can that mean anything.

Actually, considering that amplitude response only is being measured using pink noise in your scenario, human perception is secondary to the speaker's measured spectral response using "pink noise" - to that extent it has meaning.

Pink noise is a standard signal.

If you listen to enough speakers with it, you can easily hear colorations that are masked with music tracks.

You can also learn a lot with pink noise and an equalizer. Elevate or depress certain bands somewhat and you will hear the effect they have. Then try the same with music, it is often much more subtle.

I wonder if there is any free software that does EQ that you can set the frequency, dB and Q of either a notch or a peak that can run on a PC and can EQ the CD music playback?

I think it is going to be a long process to learn to do it using the Pink Noise way, but EQ on music can easily give me some cues what have gone wrong with my speakers and room. All I need to do is to play music through the CDroom in a PC while adjusting the EQ, and take the output from the soundcard to the preamp of my system.

Regards,
Bill

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
There is -- I once used it as a plug in for Foobar, but I'll be damned if I can remember what it was. It may have been a VST plugin. It worked well. I'll try to dig it up, if no one here has a suggestion.

I would also suggest trying the software on jlo's site, he's got some great stuff there.

EDIT:

Might have been the PEQ1V plug in I used. But I don't remember the buttons.
http://www.anwida.com/download.asp?pt=12

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.