Scan-Speak Reference Monitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's a design made for the Dutch DIY loudspeakershops (made by a proffesional designer), I have heard the speaker a couple of times and it's a very nice speaker. It's one of the best DIY-speakers I have heard.

You can contact Rolf Smulders of Audiocomponents, and if your country hasn't a Scan Speak dealer (otherwise you must buy the stuff from your local dealer, (here in Holland we must buy it from the shops where Audiocomponents delivers to.) he can offer you for very low prices the units.

Taco

Taco,

I have already bought all the drivers from Rolph. The service was excellent. I will start building my pair in a month from now after my wedding. I was wondering if someone had this project running to share some valuable information about the construction of the cabinet.

Thanks
George

Use leadbitums for dampening the panels, (also used to dampen car-doors). I think the drawings of the speaker are clear enough.

For the XO use good parts, (tritec air-coils, good caps) the drivers are of good quality so the difference of a good XO is easily heard.

I'm very interested in building this speaker also. Are there any retailers who sell this as a kit? Also, in looking at the plans, is that a port hole in the back without a port tube? And, Do you think 1.25 inch MDF will work? And, not speaking any Dutch, what is loodbitumen and Pritex Demping and where would I purchase it?

Thanks

ethereal said:
I'm very interested in building this speaker also. Are there any retailers who sell this as a kit? Also, in looking at the plans, is that a port hole in the back without a port tube? And, Do you think 1.25 inch MDF will work? And, not speaking any Dutch, what is loodbitumen and Pritex Demping and where would I purchase it?

Thanks

Loodbitumen is a damping material sold by car-parts stores, just ask for te stuff they put behind speakers in a car-door. I don't know the translation for Pritex:confused:

Jan

Some people here on the board have very good experience with ordering Scan Speak directly from Audiocomponents. They compared the prices directly with their local dealers (if available). But I agree that audax is expensive.

About the MDF
1.25 inch ~ 30 mm that's enough.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The bottom plate (black stuff) is leadbitumes (dampening plates used in cars)

Mark25 said:
Taco,
i'm not so sure about the "very low prices" at audiocomponents.nl. they seem to be charging twice the price of www.maplin.co.uk for audax tweeters!

Maplin price for TW034X0 £24.99
audiocomponents.nl price for TW034X0 euro 74

greetings from Heerenveen, Mark

As always it is a question of exactly which brand and model we are talking about. I paid less than EUR 230 for my Proac Response 2.5 clone parts at Audi-Components and somebody here paid EUR 50 for the same elsewhere. Chekc prices as always...

It's a very good speaker, very neutral (if good dampened) and very deep bass. But the tweeter is sometimes a bit sharp, maby to revealing. For the dutchpeople you can listen to this speaker by Speaker en Co (www.speakerenco.nl).

There is 1 drawback, these speakers are very very power hungry, the impedance dips to about 2 ohm. I've heard this speakers on a Vincent hybride amp (50 watt) and this integrated amp couldn't drive these speakers. With a proper amp, these speakers are very good. (One of the best DIY speaker I've heard).

reference monitor

The reference monitor is very good, but -3 dB at 50 Hz, so no deep bass.
I think you can compare it with north creeks borealis although if never heard it.

Look at www.speakerland.nl

You see the new Ultimo at "hot" with the new scanspeak tweeter and the ravelator 18 cm.

I have listen to it , it very good but expensive

Hi to everyone,

What do you think about the Reference Monitor's crossover. Many people say that the highs are a bit hard or shiny. Does anyone have anything to say about the crossover? Does anyone have any measurments about the resistance of this loudspeaker versus the frequency range. Can it be drived by a good 50W amp or does it need more power?

George

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.