Morel voice coil replacements / new "CAT" tweeters... - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th October 2009, 12:36 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlr View Post
Seems I missed the point of there being 2 midwoofers, certainly explains the sensitivity question I had. I guess I wasn't fully awake this morning. Two drivers that are spec'ed at 87db will easily get to 92db, but that's only 2-pi. I'm still looking for feedback on the baffle step since two drivers full-range that are flat anechoically as measured by Morel are going to lose 6db starting somewhat around the 500Hz point that is not shown in the measurement. It doesn't matter whether there's one or two, there will be a 6db step loss.

The issue that concerns the 4K broad dip still remains unanswered as well, since the claims were that this is a true first order crossover. Were that the case, there should be a peak at the stated Fc of 6K given that the MW144 is flat (not down 3db) at 6K.

Dave
Dave, If you can design and make all these decisions based on the manufacturers data then we design much differently. Me, I go through the process of measuring drivers, feeding real world data into LEAP, etc etc.

Manufacturers data from Morel is generally very good, but not that good.

Terry
Old 13th October 2009, 02:41 AM   #32
dlr is offline dlr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheonix358 View Post
Dave, If you can design and make all these decisions based on the manufacturers data then we design much differently. Me, I go through the process of measuring drivers, feeding real world data into LEAP, etc etc.

Manufacturers data from Morel is generally very good, but not that good.

Terry
I'm not trying to design, I'm trying to get answers. Believe me I fully understand the issues, this is more to clarify for others who may not and accept commentary at face value.

As far as design, I do the same as you in that respect. I've used LMS, MLSSA, LAUD and SoundEasy as well as CALSOD and other tools, still use several in fact. My questions can be answered without making assumptions of what or how I do it or implications that I do otherwise. The point is, there is a distinct lack of information as I've indicated and I can ask questions, must in fact, since there is insufficient data. This relates to the basic topic of running a midwoofer full range and the limitations that can and do occur that needs a full accounting if one is going to recommend running drivers such as these full range. Interested DIYers should know all of the details. You offered your commentary about the claims, I didn't solicit it, so I'm trying to get answers.

There seems to be a reluctance on your part to respond directly to pertinent questions, that's why I'm repeating them. I questioned the accuracy of claims of first order response and have indicated why I think that there is an issue with the crossover region as well as the lack of data on the step, the latter of much more significance I would say. I don't understand the reticence to answer that question, it occurs in all baffle mounted direct radiators. The former point requires individual driver responses to assess. I am not one to accept statements without support, hence my queries. Since the claim was that it is first order similar to Dunlavy's work, it must follow that the response be BW1. I see reasons to question that and have stated where and why. That's it.

Dave

Hide this!Advertise here!