Seas waveguide tweeter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guess not

Doesn't look like anybody's used it yet. I'd think an interesting use for it would be as a tweeter with a supertweeter, to make the best use of the increased efficiency in the 2-8kHz band. An 8k first order XO would make a pretty good 2nd order slope, and you could cross in the little dayton ND20-FB4 above it and have a composite tweeter with excellent controlled dispersion, wide bandwidth, and very low distortion. I'd probably change out the metal dome in the waveguide tweeter for the matching soft dome to kill that ultrasonic peak.

A complicated usage to be sure, with some issues that no doubt would need to be addressed, but nevertheless, probably has a lot of potential.

Jed came up with a better hybrid solution. He removed the DXT voice coil and attached it to the motor of the H1212. They were on display at the recent diyDayton.

Jed's Tombstones

Madisound is the source.

I hope DXT voice coils become available as replacements so I can do the same thing.

I've never seen proof-only speculation-that a waveguide loaded soft dome would suffer from back pressure within the guide. The suggestion is that a metal dome is necessary to avoid that. :scratch:

Hi Ed

I’m looking for 93 dB sensitivity (to use with a tube amp).

While the DXT waveguide on the H1212 motor improves the low end harmonic distortion profile, etc, do you know/ what are the gains in sensitivity?

I'd guess adding the waveguides isn’t hard, wonder where Jed gets them?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.