Vintage Speaker Wiring

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings ~

Having serious frustration with wiring up a vintage zenith stereo cabinet. The stereo was dead so I pulled it to put in another vintage stereo that works. However in trying to figure out the wiring of the speakers I am running into some problems.

The speakers have one main and one horn, there are two posts on the main speaker, another wire goes from one post up to the tweeter horn through a little panel that has a couple of electrical parts on it.

IN trying to wire them up to the stereo (pioneer sx-980) I can not figure out what needs to go where. If I have the stereo set to "stereo" the right channel goes away. If it's set to mono, both sides play. I know basic stereo wire just has a positive and a negative terminal, but when there's a crossover involved I'm very confused.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, sorry it's such a basic question, I just can't for the life of me figure it out, I've spend about 3 hours trying every combination and I know there's just some very basic thing I'm missing.

Help!

tom

so in mono mode, both speakers work. The balance control pans to the left and the right. Sounds like you wired the speakers up correctly.

Are you getting lows out the woofers and highs out the tweeters? If so, then the speakers are almost certainly wired correctly.

Are you sure the amps OK? Can you try a different pair of speakers to the amp to verify that stereo mode works as you expect?

There may be a problem with the mono/stereo switching circuit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.