Is my WT3 working properly?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I just bought a WT3 from Parts Express. I'm trying to get better specs for my HiVi F8's than Swan has on their website. I'm getting measurements that seem correct:
Re=6.587 (Swan: 6.5)
Fs=38.36 (Swan: 36)
Le=0.6176 (Swan: ?)

I'm also getting measurements that seem to be incorrect:
Qts=0.4685 (Swan: 0.39)
Qes=0.5067 (Swan: 0.51)
Qms=6.223 (Swan: 1.73)

I've calibrated my leads and impedence. I'm testing the speaker while holding it by the sides of the magnet, away from my body - with the cone's face aimed horizontally outward.

Can something be wrong with my WT3? I'm *very* new. Does this seem to indicate a problem with the driver? Its' twin gets very similar readings.

I'm not sure how else I can test my WT3. I can compare results of driver measurements with someone. Laying around for measurement, I have:
Vifa D 19 TD-5 tweeter
Morel MDT-20 tweeter

Or, could someome recommend a procedure who's results I can compare to for normalization?

Thanks!
Peter

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Everything but Qms looks right on. (and that throws off Qts).

Don't know why it would be so far off. Most of the drivers I've done with the WT3 have a variance from spec of Qms, but not that large!

Are you getting the effective diameter right? (or does that matter for the Qms calc?)

Hi,

Like I said your measurements are consistent. Qes is near enough
not to worry. The different Qms are causing the Qts differences.

Qms is impossible to sanity check unless it is far too small or large.
Values of 1 to >10 are possible, 1.5 to 7 typical. The F6 according
to Zaph has Qms = 5.4, assuming its made the same way as the
F8 moreorless I would tend to suspect the Qms = 1.7 specification.

:)/sreten.

P.S. Sd only really matters in calculating Mms (for a given Vas).

Thanks Sreten!

I'm not sure if you checked out my latest addition to my original post, but I'm sum it up. The numbers I gathered suggested an enclosure very similar to one of the ones I had experimented with (but with dual 2" ports). I tried this - and I'm starting to believe the measurements, because the sound smoothed out overall. There's very little harshness left coming from the woofer - and what is (I think) is most likely because I have no dampening material on the sides of the cabinet (just a prototype).

Now I need to learn how to import the impedance data into Winspeakerz. Is there a howto? I'd like to start plugging in potential crossover characteristics and model some different tweeters.

Thanks again!
Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.