monitors for studio DIY

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone knows where can I find some information on building nearfield and farfield speakers that are suitable for recording studio use?

I think they must have a colorless, clear and detailed sound. Not beaultiful, colored sound as hifi speakers, but full frequency response (30 Hz-20Khz) and a very good crossover!

Thanks for any info!

Considerations for studio monitors

You say you will attempt to match a 8 inches driver (worse a 12 inches one...) with an 1 inch tweeter and you don't want "Hi-Fi coloured speakers "(maybe we don't agree on what a real hi-fidelity speaker should be here...). :whacko: If you haven't heard about cone breakup modes, you will experience them. :down: Believe me, I have made the mistake: even top quality woofers will colorate from around maybe 300Hz for a 12" and 500Hz maximum for a 8" because cone material isn't infinitely rigid.

I understand your willings to go full range fro studio monitors. And I think this is basically a good idea.

But read this.

Big speakers are good at making big moving of air i.e. making powerful and low bass, and not as good in changing direction frequently i.e mid/high.

If you want my advice, try not to go larger than 6" (hint... some serious studio monitors uses 4 1/2"). You could be surprised what a well designed and aligned cabinet with a 6" mid/woofer can do for you. And from there, if you want real deep bass, go with a 10-12" subwoofer or build three ways...

Unfortunately, no real-world speaker I know do 6 octaves correctly. (ok, some "full-ranges" do it but there are some important drawbacks...) As a rule of thumb, count on a 10:1 ratio between the highest and the lowest frequency you can ask to your loudspeaker (i.e 20-200Hz or 200Hz-2kHz). Maybe a little more with today's mid/woofers.

One more time, if you want to know precisely what's on your take or mix, a 12"/1" combo is a bad match. :dead: In this world of music, believe half of what you read (less if it's full of numbers) and fully trust your ears! :p

JBL Huge speakers

I´ve seen some Great JBL speakers that was like a refrigerator. It had the most trasparent sound I´ve ever heard. I just want something like this!

But there are U$60.000 HiFi speakers that colour the sound in a pleasant way but this is just not what I want. They are great speakers, but it´s not constructed for studio monitors. I just don´t know technically, what´s the difference, but this is not the same, I can say.

I´ll check the JBL model and let you know. It has 12" or 15" woofer for sure!

It´s a vintage type, I think...

Are you sure those big JBLs are not 3 ways? Typical JBL "monitors" with 10 - 15" are woofer/5" mid/1" dome setups...

Anyway, whatever I think, if you believe in what you think, go for it: sucess or fail, you will certainly learn from that road to ultimate DIY sound.

Good luck! :)

rafafredd,
Sounds cool, Wish I had the Studio to support farfield monitors, mines basically a "bedroom" studio with some acoustical wall treament, so I'm stuck with nearfield (my diy 5.25" and 1" 2-way) but I do agree that you need a three-way if you want good resolution in the midrange for a farfield (though you could use a compression driver crossed low enough, but there hard to get sounding good) .

What kind of room design do you have/use is it floating room-in-room, what degree splay do you use for your walls, do you plan on soffit-mounting the farfields?

Yeah, that's Soffit mounting, if you can that's the way to go! I used Vifa drivers in my NF monitors, the new one's I'm designing will probably use an 8" or two 6.5"( I need more dynamics) still haven't decided on the tweeter/crossover but it will either be really low or really high and not in the midrange. I think those HE12 were the ones reviewed in AudioXpress magazine and the conclusion was they are no reference monitors.

Having a board like that would be nice wouldn't it, I my self am trying to get away from mixers, and trying to go all computer based, allthough I'm still deciding on which controlers to use.

Near field Far field

Think of your computer speakers as near field and your normal speakers in a large living room as far field.

About your monitors. I designed a built line in the late eighties.
They took six months of carefull work to get right. Most of them are still in service. I think that you should find out more about the directionality of drivers and their upper and lower limits. Good monitors do not consist of a tweeter and a woofer over 6 inches in a two way configuration. An MTM with two sixs could work. But to what they cross over to and at what frequency will determine how they sound. Such a configuration should not cross over much higher than 1200hz ballpark and a tweeter that can handle the music from there up is going to cost allot of bucks.
Thems the brakes!!

Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.