Vandersteen Quatro crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry - I didn't mean who is the manufacturer, I meant what type of caps are they.

Polypropylene:

http://www.partsexpress.com/dayton-metallized-capacitors.cfm

Electrolytic:

http://www.partsexpress.com/non-polorized-electrolytic-capacitors.cfm

If they are electrolytic you can replace with new of the same or "upgrade" to polys - upgrade is in quotes because, though there is much debate about audible differences between crossover components there is little science. Polys have tighter tolerances and last more or less indefinitely; electrolytics tend to degrade in value over time. The larger the value the bigger price difference too.

If there are poly caps in the crossovers I wouldn't change them. Brand does not matter, especially the really expensive stuff.

Here's the outboard x-over. It resides in-between the preamp and power amp.

Attachments

• m5-hp.jpg
    m5-hp.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 684
>My work here is done.

OK, you can go home now. Not sure that you have done any work, other than to explain how "science" fails to corroborate differences between capacitors... (actually, there are hard measurable numbers to describe the differences in performance, even between similar film caps. How that relates to what we hear is a bit tougher to quantify.

Now, let's roll up our sleeves:

First of all, that 9V battery is indeed a "bias" battery. It keeps the caps "formed" by biasing them up by 9V. This is not an active XO.

Second of all, this is NOT the speaker crossover. This is a 100Hz high-pass filter that does its work at line-level.

I'm not sure I would expect really big changes by swapping out caps in here. The InfiniCaps are quite good, not the $0.05 parts our skeptic friends were hoping for - these are something like $15 retail. At double that price I would recommend Mundorf Silver/Oil caps, but they are large and you may have a tough time fitting them in. You could bypass the Wimas with silver Mica for not a lot of money or time involved.

Hmmm.....

A biased capacitor line level crossover ..... 100Hz high pass allegedly.
What is it adjustable for ? levels, frequency or both ?
(edit : Its input impedance matching for the correct frequency....)

$600 a pair ? Hmmm...... and you want to upgrade the components ....

Looks a trifle complicated when this can be achieved by the
input coupling capacitor of most power amplifiers quite easily.

FWIW the capacitors appear to be paralled film types, and you
do not get much better than the large (not value) polystyrenes.

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/706vandersteen/

The stereophile review seems to indicate a classic case of lack of
BSC in the 100Hz to 500Hz range and no easy way to passively
fix this (unless the overall subwoofer gain can be adjusted).
I am not prepared to argue the point, they seem to be flawed.

I would set about trying to adjust this, cannot do any real harm.
(unfortunately passive line level BSC down to 100Hz and passive
100hz high pass do not mix very well in the same passive circuit ....)

If the subwoofer overall level can be adjusted the BSC could
simply be included in the power amplifier feedback network,
and to get rid of the box (has to be an upgrade ? ...) you
can also changed the power amplifier input coupling.

:)/sreten.

"OK, you can go home now. Not sure that you have done any work, other than to explain how "science" fails to corroborate differences between capacitors... (actually, there are hard measurable numbers to describe the differences in performance, even between similar film caps. How that relates to what we hear is a bit tougher to quantify."

Yup - thanks for helping me make my point.

"First of all, that 9V battery is indeed a "bias" battery. It keeps the caps "formed" by biasing them up by 9V. This is not an active XO."

Doesn't matter - it's still a filter/XO and expensive components won't make any audible difference.

"Second of all, this is NOT the speaker crossover. This is a 100Hz high-pass filter that does its work at line-level."

See response above.

"I'm not sure I would expect really big changes by swapping out caps in here."

Sounds like we're on the same page here.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.