Goodmans Audioms & Adastra/Celestions. info needed! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th July 2008, 10:47 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Goodmans Audioms & Adastra/Celestions. info needed!

I've recently inhereted a collection of old speaker drivers and I'm trawling the net for any info I can find like production dates, TS parameters, etc. I haven't had any luck so ANY info anyone has here would be much appreciated on these drivers:

Goodmans Power Range Audiom 18 (18" 100 Watts)

Goodmans Power Range Audiom 12-P (12" 50 Watts)

Adastra Hi-Ten (10" 10 Watts, Celestion logo on terminal board)

Pending that they are worth building boxes for, I intend to make a big pair of 2/3 way sealed enclosures and bi-amp them with a few valve amps. From the little info I did find it seems the Goodmans drivers are high in efficiency which would be a plus. I probably won't use the Adastras as they don't look very sturdy. I would probably get a nice pair of horns for the top end.

Again ANY info at all would be great!
Old 14th July 2008, 04:43 PM   #2
AMV8 is offline AMV8  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi
I also have a few old Goodman speakers. I believe the ones you have were made in the 1970's. Maybe even the late 1960's. At the time they were excellant base units. Goodman recommended a large sealed box with a cloth covered opening. The speaker cabinets recommended were about 1.2m x 0.5m x 0.4m with a cloth covered opening of about 0.2m x 0.3m. The base produced is solid and extends down to around 20hz. They do not usually work well with small cabinets.
At the time Goodmans used horn loaded mid and treble units with your base units.

If you want to e mail me your address I will send you a photo copy of the Goodman leaflet showing the speakers and cross over arrangements and frequencies.

Don
Old 15th July 2008, 01:42 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Don,
That would be great! I don't have enough posts to PM you so here's my email:

rockwoodie-at-yahoo-dot-co-dot-uk

Please excuse the anti-spamming encryption thingy

I have two really solid pinball machine cabinets that I might fit them into as long as I can get the right volume. As for the horn-loaded drivers you mention, I'd say I'd be a LONG time fishing for a set of them. I could try and find a close match in something else I guess. Will look forward to seeing the leaflet anyway!

The two 18s are actually 18-P so maybe they'll match the 12" somehow?? I only have one 12" though and another could be hard to find. I'll have to wait and see...

Do you know what application they were intended for? i.e. PA/Instrument/Hi Fi. Cos ideally I'd like to use these beasts for monitors in my studio...
Old 15th July 2008, 07:31 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Before about 1968 these 18" drivers were only 50W rated.
They were for tube amplifier use and quite sensitive.

Goodmans then stiffened the cone edge and increased the dissipation capabilities of the voice coil to cope with SS.

I ran four of the 100W ones for discos with tube amps and C filtered Wharfedale Super 8s as tweeters above two each side of stage/hall.

The later ones were fine for bass guitar in a suitable cabinet.

Do be careful about using these today. The glues and materials are old now and thus much more likely to fail if driven to original maximum specifications. Also there is no voice coil venting.

Cheers ......... Graham.
Old 16th July 2008, 09:18 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks Graham I'll take it easy on the power so! I'll hopefully be driving them with valve amps so wattage won't be too plentiful. The drivers are in pristine condition but as you said the adhesives might be unreliable. Did your cabinets have the cloth-covered vents that Don mentioned above?

Quote:
If you want to e mail me your address I will send you a photo copy of the Goodman leaflet showing the speakers and cross over arrangements and frequencies.
Sorry Don I still can't email you cos I'm still under moderation. If you can email me at rockwoodie-at-yahoo-dot-co-dot-uk I can then email you my address. I'm very eager to get the information that you have!

I've measured the pinball cabinets and they come in just 17 litres bigger than the enclosure size you outlined for the goodmans drivers. This is great because I have the 17 litres to use for a mid cavity/horns.
Old 29th June 2011, 09:17 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Nearly two years later and I'm back on this project! :-) I recently found the catalogue that I was after. It's here:

http://www.ajaudio.co.uk/Goodmans_catalogue_1.jpg

Unfortunately the resolution isn't high enough to be able to read the freq response graphs. My latest plan with these speakers is to buy another 12P driver and load the two big cabinets with an 18P, a 12P, and then a small horn at the top. To keep it all original 1970s Goodmans I would have to get a pair of Hifax horn tweeters which seem to be as rare as hen's teeth.

Anyway I plan to Bi-amp these cabs either 2 or 3 way. At least then I can control the phase etc. Has anyone got any idea of the frequency range of both the 18P and the 12P Audiom drivers? I really need to know for crossover frequencies. Thanks!
Old 29th June 2011, 10:34 AM   #7
frenzic is offline frenzic  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I ran photoshop on the jgp and at least the numbers are more clear now.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 29th June 2011, 10:48 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks Frenzic! You've made the brochure a lot clearer now :-). However, I still can't read the frequency graphs or more to the point the numbers along the top of the graphs. I know they'll be log-lin graphs but if I can't see the frequency numbers I can't tell the useful range of the speakers. I dunno whether there's enough resolution to even bring them out to be honest. :-/
Old 29th June 2011, 11:17 AM   #9
frenzic is offline frenzic  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I am afraid there is not enough data contained in the scan even if it is in 1000dpi. Or my photoshop skills are not up to task. I see the brochure does give a lot of info on enclosure dimensions and recommend enclosure volumes. These people probably knew what they were talking about and I see that as a good starting point. Maybe slap some wood together and you could measure the response data yourself. Just a thought.
Old 29th June 2011, 11:38 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Yea I'm gonna go with the recommended volumes for the enclosures. My main aim is to make a nice big pair of speakers from the vintage drivers that I have. Does anyone have any idea of the quality of these drivers for hifi use? I am not going to expect high fidelity from them but I will mess around with crossover points, phasing etc until I get the best sound I can from them :-). It should be fun. Thanks for the help anyway Frenzic ;-)

Hide this!Advertise here!