Yamaha NS1000 crossover Tweaks

Hi there

I'm still playing around with these speakers. Now I connected a Technics TH800 tweeter instead of the original ones. It seems to be a bit more sparkly.

What I also want to try is some other capacitors and bypassing some with teflon FT-1's. Can anyone advise me on which ones to bypass? High's, mid's, low's?

I also want to try Russian K40y and K75-10's.

Have you tried to recap the crossovers with any brand of MKP capacitors? That, and a spray with Kontakt 60 or anything similar will most definitety restore thes beauties to "better than original" specs, as described far earlier in this thread. The Beryllium drivers in the NS1Ks have only been bettered by ÝAmaha in the NS2000 and NS10000 speakers.
To my knowledge, as a professional soundman, ther is nothing close to this technolgy on the market even today

hi,

Just joined in.

I had NS-1000M for 10 years
Right side woofer voice coil was rubbing on center magnet pole and when I played certain songs it was evident at low volume listening.
Took it to a speaker repair shop and they said it needed reconing, new
voice coil, new rubber surround and new spider as well.

Excellent work! To my understanding, only the last year or two was supplied with rubber surrounds. Apparently mine are old enough to have linen suorrounds and will hopefully never die...

Active Crossover with NS1000M

Hi,

Every now and then I do a quick trawl to see what is happening in the NS1000M world.

Am I correct that no one has actually applied active crossovers to these speakers yet? In my trawling I found a lot of very heated exchanges in this thread but not a lot of light on the subject.

Thanks for any help that may stream my way

George

Active Crossover with NS1000M

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for the info.
I was hoping to see a stream of claimants to making the NS1000M active... preferably using a DIY active crossover. So far, nothing. I am still waiting for Nelson Pass to provide the B4 crossover design but that seems to be slipping year on year. Still I have plenty to do... but I am starting to get the feeling that my approach is flawed. The attached diagram shows the strategy to date... but it might be changing :-(

George

Attachments

• HiFISystem1.3.pdf
    97.1 KB · Views: 200
Hello georgebrook.
Since I work in the professional sound business, I would not settle for anything less than a DBX Driverack which comes in three versions, depending on whether you prefer to control it with a PC, networking or not.
That, and the serious competition, does X-0vers, eq, delays, limiting and whatnot. You can of course bypass the function(s) you do not wish to use. There are several different brands, such as Klark Teknik, Xilica and Mishi to choose from. Just remember that the pro´s work with a higher line signal level than hifi and also uses balanced lines on XLR connectors. Most of these units have switchable line levels, there is an easy way to convert from balanced to unbalanced without losing quality.
Cheers!

Professional Crossovers

Hi Beachmountain,

Thanks for those recommendations..it really helps sort the good from the rest.. which is pretty hard based on Specifications nowadays.
I shall investigate those products you mentioned but do nothing until after Christmas, just in case Papa is reading this and plans a surprise release of a B4 then... there goes a pig flying by!

George

Yep, Genelect s45ya is active speaker: ns1000m with Genelec s30 triamp amplifiers with modified crossover. I've got the schematics but not exact values for the s45ya crossover. I have the units here and someday maybe dissect them to measure components. However, one might be better with some DSP xovers as many have suggested. Attachments show s30 crossover.

Attachments

• 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 727
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 696
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 677
Hi Beachmountain,

please let me know how you get on with this. I am still holding my breath on a B4 but if by New Year there is not even a rumor about it, well then I guess I shall use a ...what? Any thoughts on a good active crossover for the NS1000M? I only plan to bi-amp.

George

George,

Why going through all the fuss of a separate device?
When biamping you can provide the bass amp with a 2nd order low pass passive filter at the input (at line level); it needs a capacitor and a choke.
The same (but then high pass of course) for the F5 amplifier which has 100k input impedance; you could make that input resistor a good quality multi turn one to set the balance with the bass.
2nd order will do (the speaker's filter is also 2nd order).
In my opinion this is preferable over a separate device with all associated electronics, cables a.s.o., also sound wise.

George,

Why going through all the fuss of a separate device?
When biamping you can provide the bass amp with a 2nd order low pass passive filter at the input (at line level); it needs a capacitor and a choke.
The same (but then high pass of course) for the F5 amplifier which has 100k input impedance; you could make that input resistor a good quality multi turn one to set the balance with the bass.
2nd order will do (the speaker's filter is also 2nd order).
In my opinion this is preferable over a separate device with all associated electronics, cables a.s.o., also sound wise.

I totally agree with pieter.
The solution that you are contemplating will introduce more problems than what that route will offer in sonic benefit.

Stefan

This is a very long thread and much of is is heated or off-topic. I might have missed this, and if so, apologies, but:

Does anyone have information for rebuilding NS1000 crossovers using quality contemporary replacement parts? Maybe a parts list and some documentation? I dont' want to 'enhance' the devices, just replace old parts with high-quality replacements.

This is a very long thread and much of is is heated or off-topic. I might have missed this, and if so, apologies, but:

Does anyone have information for rebuilding NS1000 crossovers using quality contemporary replacement parts? Maybe a parts list and some documentation? I dont' want to 'enhance' the devices, just replace old parts with high-quality replacements.

Yamaha NS-1000 Jantzen-audio crossover - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Hi, All in the above link, rgds, sreten.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Yamaha-NS1000.htm

I just obtained a pair of NS-1000M for $500 that my friend a master cabinet / furniture refinisher, who works in the homes of multi-millionaires refinishing scratches in their mega-buck tables etc. Is going to completely sand down and refinish in the color Oxblood with a high gloss cover, as a favor for me.

I compared these NS-1000M directly against my Fostex FE208ES-R drivers with Fostex T-900a tweeters in Sachiko double-back-loaded horns and to say I was amazed at how good the NS-1000M sounded, would be an understatement! I was so impressed want to first rebuild the XO with today's high-quality components and if I like what I hear as much as I believe I will, I'll purchase a second pair of NS-1000M and stack & invert them on top of the first pair! So it will be W-M-T T-M-W on each side! Has anyone tried this yet? If so, what were the pros and cons of doing this sonically?

I'm listening to: For The Moment by Bob Mintzer Big Band

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)

Hi Etnier-

For a more standard crossover upgrade- see my post #201 and read on from there. The 6 3.5uF caps (C3) are not electrolytics, as poster morksbeanbag points out in post #209. So you could leave those. I chose to replace them anyway.

For the NS-1000 schematic- see post #196.

Hope this helps. They are great speakers.

-Kent