YAMAHA NS1000 crossover Tweaks - Page 47 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th December 2012, 11:17 PM   #461
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetubeguy1954 View Post
I just obtained a pair of NS-1000M for $500 that my friend a master cabinet / furniture refinisher, who works in the homes of multi-millionaires refinishing scratches in their mega-buck tables etc. Is going to completely sand down and refinish in the color Oxblood with a high gloss cover, as a favor for me.

I compared these NS-1000M directly against my Fostex FE208ES-R drivers with Fostex T-900a tweeters in Sachiko double-back-loaded horns and to say I was amazed at how good the NS-1000M sounded, would be an understatement! I was so impressed want to first rebuild the XO with today's high-quality components and if I like what I hear as much as I believe I will, I'll purchase a second pair of NS-1000M and stack & invert them on top of the first pair! So it will be W-M-T T-M-W on each side! Has anyone tried this yet? If so, what were the pros and cons of doing this sonically?

I'm listening to: For The Moment by Bob Mintzer Big Band

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)
Great score and good luck on the project! They should look great. I've never stacked them, I foolishly missed a chance to get another pair.

-Kent
Old 29th December 2012, 11:34 PM   #462
Cobra2 is offline Cobra2  Norway
DIY !
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Cobra2
As I did with mine...
I did measure the old caps, and those 3,5uF did have nearly +/-1 uF difference. (each)
(I also mounted a pair of modern binding-posts, picture is before hot-melt-gluing)

Arne K
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8113010.JPG (146.6 KB, 283 views)
Old 30th December 2012, 02:27 AM   #463
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetubeguy1954 View Post
I just obtained a pair of NS-1000M for $500 that my friend a master cabinet / furniture refinisher, who works in the homes of multi-millionaires refinishing scratches in their mega-buck tables etc. Is going to completely sand down and refinish in the color Oxblood with a high gloss cover, as a favor for me.

I compared these NS-1000M directly against my Fostex FE208ES-R drivers with Fostex T-900a tweeters in Sachiko double-back-loaded horns and to say I was amazed at how good the NS-1000M sounded, would be an understatement! I was so impressed want to first rebuild the XO with today's high-quality components and if I like what I hear as much as I believe I will, I'll purchase a second pair of NS-1000M and stack & invert them on top of the first pair! So it will be W-M-T T-M-W on each side! Has anyone tried this yet? If so, what were the pros and cons of doing this sonically?

I'm listening to: For The Moment by Bob Mintzer Big Band

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata)
Check out Yamaha-NS1000
Old 13th February 2013, 08:31 PM   #464
diyAudio Member

Hi guys, new to the forums, great thread, anyone know a good place to source spare parts for the NS1000-M that delivers to the UK, mine came with brand new tweeters which the previous owner replaced but I would also like to get replacement mids and woofer.
Old 16th February 2013, 04:52 PM   #465
diyAudio Member

I have tried stacking speakers of this type as you suggested, and it simply does not work. Mainly due to yhat the X-overs, inter-drive unit distances, etyc has to be calculated at the design stage. Yes, you will get more volume, largishness, BUT the precision vanishes.
Old 16th February 2013, 05:11 PM   #466
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I have long questioned the wisdom of a stacking. I guess it comes down to what you are after. It will work for a "wall of sound", but not for precise audio reproduction.

I, personally, rarely sit down in the sweet spot to try and extract the ultimate pinpoint imaging of the respective instruments (which is not to say that I don't appreciate it). I usually listen with the music wafting through the house while I'm doing something or other. I guess I'm one of those who would not find the inverted stacking of speakers objectionable. Until I sit down to listen critically.
Old 1st September 2013, 08:59 PM   #467
jvd is offline jvd  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Default Magnet

decca4 (hopefully you see this post, as the thread is seemingly dead).

I'm really taken with your magnet mod. I plan to start inquires today, aiming to acquire an applicable magnet.

I have the impression magnets are not intended to come off - how did you remove the magnet from its base (I assume they are permanently glued)?

Your info and pic: much apprreciated.
Old 2nd September 2013, 11:02 PM   #468
decca4 is offline decca4  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Hello jvd,

It is quit some time since I did this but this is my recollection of how I went about it.

As I recall the magnet together with the pool piece at the rear was not glued to the basket/cage. However the pool piece was glued to the magnet.

I took a thin medium sized knife and placed the edge at the perimeter where the magnet and pool piece meet. Then I used a hammer to hit the knife. Then I proceeded around the perimeter. This way the I managed to break up the glue joint. The magnet still sticks to the pool piece quit strongly and to separate those parts I used a hydraulic press. This was a rather easy task. If you don't have access to a press I suggest that you use some small wedges and press those into the gap you get when the knife is located between the magnet and the pool piece.

After separating the two pieces you will probably find that the surface of the magnet is somewhat uneven. This is of no consequent for it's function is this application.

If this is not totally clear please don't hesitate to come back with your questions.

The procedure is really not that difficult. The reward is a much tighter and more energetic low end.

Stefan

Last edited by decca4; 2nd September 2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 3rd September 2013, 12:05 AM   #469
jvd is offline jvd  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

It's great you've replied Stefan, THANKYOU.

I visited my local speaker 'doctor'. I made a cardboard template of the 1000 rear plate: he plans to find me old or new magnets to suit (and remagnetize if necessary). I shrunk a bit when he said that. Ooouch this is not going to be zero cost as I thought. But cost is not an issue with this hobby is it!
Said you can fit them, but you need to glue them in place, to allow for bump, transportation, earthquake etc. You don't want a magnet to fall onto a cone do you, he said, with a slightly concerned/wise look.
I'm out of town till next week so nothing will happen before then - a work in progress.
Old 20th May 2014, 09:19 AM   #470
diyAudio Member

Step 5, a ring magnet was added to the woofer. At some point I replaced the dreadful binding posts with some proper ones.

Dear Sir
Can you eloborate on the point about adding a ring magnet to the woofer

what was the ring magnet you added, the polarity and function

I have seen a ring magnet on JBL woofers, I assumed it was for

cancelling stray magnetic field from Woofer Magnet

Robert Bose

Hide this!Advertise here!