YAMAHA NS1000 crossover Tweaks - Page 45 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th September 2011, 07:17 PM   #441
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3D View Post
Hi there

I'm still playing around with these speakers. Now I connected a Technics TH800 tweeter instead of the original ones. It seems to be a bit more sparkly.

What I also want to try is some other capacitors and bypassing some with teflon FT-1's. Can anyone advise me on which ones to bypass? High's, mid's, low's?

I also want to try Russian K40y and K75-10's.
Have you tried to recap the crossovers with any brand of MKP capacitors? That, and a spray with Kontakt 60 or anything similar will most definitety restore thes beauties to "better than original" specs, as described far earlier in this thread. The Beryllium drivers in the NS1Ks have only been bettered by ŻAmaha in the NS2000 and NS10000 speakers.
To my knowledge, as a professional soundman, ther is nothing close to this technolgy on the market even today
Old 13th September 2011, 07:26 PM   #442
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=srian;2447882]hi,

Just joined in.

I had NS-1000M for 10 years
Right side woofer voice coil was rubbing on center magnet pole and when I played certain songs it was evident at low volume listening.
Took it to a speaker repair shop and they said it needed reconing, new
voice coil, new rubber surround and new spider as well.

Excellent work! To my understanding, only the last year or two was supplied with rubber surrounds. Apparently mine are old enough to have linen suorrounds and will hopefully never die...
Old 19th September 2011, 10:23 AM   #443
diyAudio Member

Default Active Crossover with NS1000M

Hi,

Every now and then I do a quick trawl to see what is happening in the NS1000M world.

Am I correct that no one has actually applied active crossovers to these speakers yet? In my trawling I found a lot of very heated exchanges in this thread but not a lot of light on the subject.

Thanks for any help that may stream my way

George
Old 19th September 2011, 12:45 PM   #444
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgebrooke View Post
Hi,
Am I correct that no one has actually applied active crossovers to these speakers yet?
It seems that this has been done professionally by Genelec in their model S45YA.
Old 19th September 2011, 12:56 PM   #445
diyAudio Member

Default Active Crossover with NS1000M

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for the info.
I was hoping to see a stream of claimants to making the NS1000M active... preferably using a DIY active crossover. So far, nothing. I am still waiting for Nelson Pass to provide the B4 crossover design but that seems to be slipping year on year. Still I have plenty to do... but I am starting to get the feeling that my approach is flawed. The attached diagram shows the strategy to date... but it might be changing :-(

George
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HiFISystem1.3.pdf (97.1 KB, 95 views)
Old 19th September 2011, 01:55 PM   #446
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Nice!

If I'd still had them NS-1000's they'd be active by now.

MiniDSP's 2x8 crossover plus Minidigi plus Ministreamer makes for a killer system. Even has ability to select from 4 preset configurations. A friend of mine just bought this combo. Will be trying it out soon (but not on NS-1000's, sadly).
Old 20th September 2011, 11:28 AM   #447
diyAudio Member

I have got the necessary equipment but not the time.... hopefully before Xmas...
Old 20th September 2011, 11:34 AM   #448
diyAudio Member

Default Active NS1000M

Hi Beachmountain,

please let me know how you get on with this. I am still holding my breath on a B4 but if by New Year there is not even a rumor about it, well then I guess I shall use a ...what? Any thoughts on a good active crossover for the NS1000M? I only plan to bi-amp.

George
Old 22nd September 2011, 07:36 PM   #449
diyAudio Member

Hello georgebrook.
Since I work in the professional sound business, I would not settle for anything less than a DBX Driverack which comes in three versions, depending on whether you prefer to control it with a PC, networking or not.
That, and the serious competition, does X-0vers, eq, delays, limiting and whatnot. You can of course bypass the function(s) you do not wish to use. There are several different brands, such as Klark Teknik, Xilica and Mishi to choose from. Just remember that the pro“s work with a higher line signal level than hifi and also uses balanced lines on XLR connectors. Most of these units have switchable line levels, there is an easy way to convert from balanced to unbalanced without losing quality.
Cheers!
Old 22nd September 2011, 07:42 PM   #450
diyAudio Member

Default Professional Crossovers

Hi Beachmountain,

Thanks for those recommendations..it really helps sort the good from the rest.. which is pretty hard based on Specifications nowadays.
I shall investigate those products you mentioned but do nothing until after Christmas, just in case Papa is reading this and plans a surprise release of a B4 then... there goes a pig flying by!

George

Hide this!Advertise here!