YAMAHA NS1000 crossover Tweaks - Page 37 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th July 2009, 09:07 AM   #361
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kouiky
[B]I've never found the NS-1000M to sound hard or bright. If they sound screamy or have sharp peaks in their response it may be an indicator to a problem. B]

I totally agree. I have an ex-Swedish Radio pair, scruffy looking cabinets, but after a re-cap of the x-overs and cleaning of L-pads, yhey absolutely maych anythig very expensive out there.
Oh, they are not bass light, they reproduce what they are fed.
Recently changed to an Arcam CD-player, and they woke up.
Cheers.
Old 29th July 2009, 11:21 AM   #362
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jozua
However one needs to be realistic. Technology has moved on and 20 years down the line most audio equipment is simply better. One simply needs to make that mind shift- that is if your pocket can afford it.
If you know a bit about loudspeaker design you'll know that there is very little that is new in driver design. The NS1000's were state of the art in their day. Even today very few commercial drivers are built to their standard. The design principles are ageless, and even some new cone materials are only alternative means to the same end that is achieved by the beryllium diaphragms. In any case, technology will not of itself assure good quality product, though it does make it more accessible (to the designers, not necessarily the end user).
Old 29th July 2009, 02:51 PM   #363
diyAudio Member

I have to disagree with some of the above comments. As excellent a speaker as it is, in my opinion, it is far from perfect especially in standard form.

The Yamaha compared to the Quad ESL57 is tonally lean especially in the midrange. This also gives the impression of the top end sounding more prominent. I have had to work hard to get it to come even close to the Quad ESL57,which is a gold standard in the opinion of many for midrange realism.

You only appreciate what is missing from the bottom end when it is augmented. Again without measurements and on a purely subjective basis only, to me the bottom end appears to fall a little short of full extension and loudness as I hear it in live concerts. I do agree it is still good in standard form and is probably enough for most depending on the type of music listened to.

Having said all that I believe all our comments need to take into account the fact that we all express our opinions within the context of how we each individually perceive the sound we hear. Unless we all agreed,understood and accepted on a universal basis what the most realistic presentation of sound was, there will always be wide variations in our perceived qualities of any Hi Fi component.
Old 29th July 2009, 02:54 PM   #364
Jozua is offline Jozua  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Shaun

One needs to distinguish between nostalgia and common sense.

Point me to a good sounding NS1000 implementation and I will be all ears. If not, it remains a well executed Japanese era loudspeaker to me.

The current life in the NS1000 most likely lies in it relative low cost for what it offers. However as you yourself have now painfully discovered that when a driver blows- you have to be prepared to dig deep in your pockets or be faced with a "new" set of spare divers to experiment with. Maybe it is best to make that mind shift and move on?

Regards

Jozua
Old 29th July 2009, 03:02 PM   #365
diyAudio Member

Jozua

I dont know if this helps with the argument or not but IMHO my previous OWNED speakers which the tweaked Yamaha NS1000 is superior to, are as follows.

(Please note these are modern speakers and very high end. I have been fortunate enough to be able to afford such speakers in the recent past,its a shame it took me so long to discover DIY)

Avantgarde DUO's
AudioNote ANE Silver Signature
Audio Physic Avanti
Harbeth 30
QUAD ESL 57 refurbished and stacked.... and still one of my favourites
Rogers LS3/5A
and many others i cannot remember off hand
Old 29th July 2009, 03:15 PM   #366
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jozua
However as you yourself have now painfully discovered that when a driver blows- you have to be prepared to dig deep in your pockets or be faced with a "new" set of spare divers to experiment with. Maybe it is best to make that mind shift and move on?
I'm not sure what pain you are referring to. I have not blown any drivers. I am in fact looking for a pair of Yamaha mids to build my ultimate 3-way from.

My assessment of the Yamaha's performance is not from nostalgia. I owned a pair fairly recently, for less than a year. When I sold it and replaced it with a fairly decent loudspeaker (Quadral Wotan MkV), my 7 year old son complained that he did not like the new speaker.

Again, I say, read the thread before you jump to conclusions.
Old 29th July 2009, 03:28 PM   #367
diyAudio Member

Might I add every one of those speakers above needed some form of augmentation in the bottom end to bring the best out of them and were easily matched in that area by the NS1000. So please note my personal opinion of the bass from the Yams, was merely hypercritical.
Old 29th July 2009, 09:40 PM   #368
diyAudio Member

Audiojoy

I auditioned a stock NS1000 which I take is the sonic norm for 99% of all NS1000 users.

You give no indication of what amplification you used with your speakers.

The bottom line is that the stock NS1000 I auditioned on a fairly upmarked setup did not impress me. No amount of internet correspondence is going to alter my initial impression.

Shaun

When you finish your project please let me know. I would love to be proven wrong.

Best of luck with your search.

Jozua
Old 29th July 2009, 10:03 PM   #369
diyAudio Member

The amplification i have been using throughout the Yamaha quad and most of the other speakers lives were valve. The yamaha's in my opinion only sound at their best with valve amplifiers.

Amps used were

audionote p4 silver signature 300b mono's

jadis JA80 highly modified
Atmasphere otl
fouriere otl
etc.

preamps
were all valve also audio note m5 jadis jps3 valab pre etc.

My personal preference at the present time for speakers is no longer the NS1000's. i have been experimenting with OB see

My first Open Baffle Speaker
Old 30th July 2009, 09:43 PM   #370
diyAudio Member

Audionote

I had a short love affair with a Radford StA25 but it was a speedy divorce when it did not live up to my expectations. Valve pre-amps I can live with but in my opinion valve power amps just do not have the power or dynamics of live sound at the frequency extremes.

Your new project looks very interesting.

There is so much more pleasure gained from recreating good DIY sound at the fraction of the cost of the commercial products. This is especially relevant in South Africa where freight costs, import duties and taxes have the ability to transform what is considered a middle of the road product in Europe into a costly item in S-Africa.

You guys do not realise how lucky you are.

Regards

Jozua

Hide this!Advertise here!