Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th July 2008, 10:03 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

snoopy

If you have a very revealing system just try it. It costs very little to try.Get some solid core copper e.g out of household electrical cable and put about 5 coils tightly around each speaker cable. Or even just around the interconnects. Please note to show up the differences significantly you must be in possession of a high end 'revealing system'.

Later you can try thin or thick core, and also choose bwteen silver or copper and still notice differences between them as well. Indeed if your tv's reception is poor try doing the same for the signal and electrical cable supply to your tv, less predictable though

There already exist commercial products I believe which are sold as cable jackets. You just wrap the jacket around the cable.
Old 19th July 2008, 10:07 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Winding copper wire several turns around a speakercable, doesnt that work like a high frequenzy filter?
Old 19th July 2008, 10:50 AM   #23
snoopy is offline snoopy  Australia
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by IsakAlexander
Winding copper wire several turns around a speakercable, doesnt that work like a high frequenzy filter?
I think maybe he means winding the speaker cable a few times around a bit of ferrite in order to minimize susceptibility to RFI. Usually has minimal effect on audio depending on the permeability of the ferrite.
Old 19th July 2008, 10:58 AM   #24
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by audiojoy
snoopy

If you have a very revealing system just try it. It costs very little to try.Get some solid core copper e.g out of household electrical cable and put about 5 coils tightly around each speaker cable. Or even just around the interconnects. Please note to show up the differences significantly you must be in possession of a high end 'revealing system'.

Later you can try thin or thick core, and also choose bwteen silver or copper and still notice differences between them as well. Indeed if your tv's reception is poor try doing the same for the signal and electrical cable supply to your tv, less predictable though

There already exist commercial products I believe which are sold as cable jackets. You just wrap the jacket around the cable.
I'm just trying to visualize this. You mean you wind a few turns of copper around a bit of speaker cable connected at the the speaker end ?? Does the copper have to be insulated or is it bare copper wire ??

Even if for argument sake it did make a difference why would you do it anyway ?? I can't see how it would improve anything !!
Old 19th July 2008, 01:52 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Hi all
the winding can be done anywhere along the length of the cable (interconnect or speaker). Bare wire in my experience has the most profound benefit. You take a length of bare wire and yes just tightly wrap it around the interconnect or speaker cable . No ferrrites no nothing else. You can leave a gap of mm's or even a cm between winding, this does not tend to be such an important factor.

Why would you do it??

It was an argument i used to show to you how little changes can make big differences. However this particular tweak actually improves clarity separation and tone but the number of windings used, wire material and thickness of wire all make a different sonic signature.

In my previous set up using avantgarde duo's, 4 windings improved clarity/ bass control. When I got to a coil of 10 windings the sound started to become smothered in the lower frequencies.

Have fun. I think i will use this thread as the patent.
Old 19th July 2008, 02:01 PM   #26
Banned

Quote:
Hi all
the winding can be done anywhere along the length of the cable (interconnect or speaker). Bare wire in my experience has the most profound benefit. You take a length of bare wire and yes just tightly wrap it around the interconnect or speaker cable . No ferrrites no nothing else. You can leave a gap of mm's or even a cm between winding, this does not tend to be such an important factor.

Why would you do it??

It was an argument i used to show to you how little changes can make big differences. However this particular tweak actually improves clarity separation and tone but the number of windings used, wire material and thickness of wire all make a different sonic signature.

In my previous set up using avantgarde duo's, 4 windings improved clarity/ bass control. When I got to a coil of 10 windings the sound started to become smothered in the lower frequencies.

Have fun. I think i will use this thread as the patent.
You need to present it to James Randi and see if you can win the million dollar challenge
Old 19th July 2008, 09:45 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

let me reiterate once more you need a very revealing system to be able to appreciate this tweak. Certainly with my Avanntgarde duo 102db sensitivity any slight change was greatly magnified.
Old 20th July 2008, 05:25 AM   #28
Banned

Quote:
let me reiterate once more you need a very revealing system to be able to appreciate this tweak. Certainly with my Avanntgarde duo 102db sensitivity any slight change was greatly magnified.
Like I said you need to do double blind testing before you can make these extraordinary claims not matter how good your system is.

Better still if you claim it makes so much difference then you should be able to measure the differences with suitable test equipment.
Old 20th July 2008, 12:15 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Snoopy if you have a revealing system, why dont you just give it a go, why would you need me to prove it when you can prove or disprove it yourself. I only inform the public of what I find and hear. I give this information for free as a favour to my fellow enthusiasts, I have no intention of fooling anyone around. I am 100% certain in my findings and have been listening to hifi for over 25 years with a very experienced ear and with local enthusiasts who have witnessed the changes I have described.

Anyhow, why dont you email me for a full discussion this thread is meant to be about the Yamaha NS1000 crossover .

Luke
Old 20th July 2008, 12:58 PM   #30
Banned

Quote:
Snoopy if you have a revealing system, why dont you just give it a go, why would you need me to prove it when you can prove or disprove it yourself. I only inform the public of what I find and hear. I give this information for free as a favour to my fellow enthusiasts, I have no intention of fooling anyone around. I am 100% certain in my findings and have been listening to hifi for over 25 years with a very experienced ear and with local enthusiasts who have witnessed the changes I have described.

Anyhow, why dont you email me for a full discussion this thread is meant to be about the Yamaha NS1000 crossover .

Luke
Yes I have heard many claims made by the golden eared fraternity before and none of these claims are universally accepted or even repeatable by others.

Can you post a picture of what it is that you have done with the wires just so we're on the same wavelength ??

Hide this!Advertise here!