Yamaha NS1000 crossover Tweaks

I at the time made a complete recap of 510 euros in total all the mundorf capacitors supreme evo oil, supreme silver oil and mcap for the bass area, and the change is spectacular.
the middle area has much more life, it makes the medium an exquisite sound , and in the tweeters it is the same as in the media, the music now sounds more refined.

but of course all the capacitors that you see in my photo from other posts further back the total price was 510 euros.
but I can swear that it was very well spent and very happy with the final audio result, I advise changing them at the time the original capacitors of these yamaha were very good.

since they were nichicon beeswax capacitors, but the change to put them mundorf like me the change was great.
something else What I just read is that you put those relays that is a deception towards whoever buys it, it is a lie that the media or rather the tweeters burn that is due to misuse.
I have a pioneer a-91d amplifier and this amplifier It delivers 120w per channel, as you already know, the yamaha ns-1000m has 100w and as I told you I put it very, very high and nothing has happened to the tweeters.

f1b55aca9af3410113838a6abe2300d3o.jpg

Last edited:
fuse relays are definitively a choice; especially when I use the yamaha mx -1000.

rebuilt about 4-pars of ns 1000 crossovers and their caps, inductors, terminals and wiring are usually shot. too bad the midrange develops the magnet pinch. there's a business in japo'n that rebuilds ns 1000's-see youtube. doubt it's a bargain, but it would ne nice.

have seen the extensive xo rebuilts before...nice work! I already spend more time repairing equipment than listening to music; wandering off into engineering designs would be overwhelming. there are several low-priced options on ribbon tweets on the bay...will explore that option. do recall them sounding amazing, though. a bit concerned with the mids...guess if they go into pinching mode, I'll just use the other pair of ns 1000's that are serving as TT, tables.... nice job on your part. thanks for sharing.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I'm happy with where they are, or rather I can't be bothered with all the work of building the xo externally and going active on the bass.

I have a few friends who have gone all out on theirs though.

jamie's ns1000 external crossover build. - Page 23 - AudioFlat

Adam's NS-1000M External Crossover + Active Bass project - Page 65 - AudioFlat

Marks_Ns1000M | Flickr

The last one is worth a flick through, ms100m with lab gruepen powered 1200w dsp active bass, external xo and supertweeters.

Great looking work on those XO's do you know if they use the original XO values?
Thanks.

sq225917,
In the 'how to clean dusty and dirty paper sensitive woofer cone?'
forum you mentioned touse paper tape in dealing with Yamaha
Berilyum domes.
Have you had any trouble with these Yamaha
Berilyum domes.
You are also using a Rall ribon tweeter in your NS1000.
What are your experience about them.
Earlier in this forum soneone mentioned about the magnet bond in his mids
had come off due to the failure of the glue.
I need to do something to protect them before this happens.
Please share yourexperience about Yamaha
Berilyum domes.

John.

I’ve never seen evidence of the glue on the midrange magnet failing, but I suppose it possibly could. I don’t see this being an issue as the entire motor is screwed to the faceplate. No problem with the domes, either. Mine are from the first generation production runs.

I do see the glue has come off the woofer magnet where it was applied around the perimeter to the metal, as a result of small corrosion. An error by Yamaha? I hardly think so. It’s unlikely anyone thought these speakers would still be in service 40 years later. Consumer electronics today have a service lifecycle of about 7 years. I’m certain the NS-1000 has given owners more than their money’s worth.

Consider suspension types: foam used by many companies has a lifespan of about ten years, and rubber is about 20 if it’s kept away from uv light. Some last longer, some don’t. The treated cloth on the Yamaha woofer is still acceptable after 40 years. The double layer coating on the tweeter and mid suspension has done well for NS-1000Ms from the earliest production runs.

Sq225917: One of your woofers is fading? Did you have black or natural cellulose color cones from the factory?

Yamaha-NS1000

An unusual crossover in terms of choice of component. 6 x 3.5 uF bipolar electrolytic cabs is part of the mid's high-pass filter.
2.7 uF electrolytic cap for the tweeter; there may be room for improvement in both places.

So afterall the 3.5 uF caps are not PIO caps as mentioned earlier by skme of the deaders.
They are Nichicon BP eletrolytics.

No wonder they fail.🤐

Attachments

• xover-1-small.jpg
    xover-1-small.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 298