Speaker magnet weight

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Are you talking about a pair of hi-fi loudspeakers, or a pair of individual drivers?

A small magnet for a given Sd can sometimes signify a higher Qts, but other than that, it's pretty meaningless. A driver with a large magnet doesn't always mean it'll be better than another driver with a smaller magnet. It depends on the design.

As mentioned, this is not really a fair question. The weight of the magnet is not something you should worry about. The manufacturer has chosen it because it works well with the other components of the motor. You have to look at the different specs to determine what is the right driver for your needs. Magnet weight is not one of them. It is listed for the sake of those that think bigger is better.

Hi,

Just to be contrary bigger is better nearly always better, and
more expensive, unless you are comparing apples and aadvarks.

A better question would be is it big enough ? what happens
when it is not ? What could / would happen if its too big ?

The answers are not trivial, but magnet size is proportional
to the BL of the driver times the linear excursion capability.

I'm only saying this because budget drivers tend to have
too small magnets, one should be able to tell this .........

:)/sreten.

I'm going to jump in here.....

I had a vintage CTS guitar speaker with a 4oz (yes, FOUR) magnet that outperformed a modern guitar driver with a MUCH bigger magnet, though both were rated 98dB SPL.

Sold the CTS for a good 1/2 months wage.

Modern guitar speaker magnet graces my drill press :D

Cheers!

Geek said:
I'm going to jump in here.....

I had a vintage CTS guitar speaker with a 4oz (yes, FOUR) magnet that outperformed a modern guitar driver with a MUCH bigger magnet, though both were rated 98dB SPL.

Sold the CTS for a good 1/2 months wage.

Modern guitar speaker magnet graces my drill press :D

Cheers!

Hi,

I doubt it had the excursion or power handling capability of the other
modern driver, which would not matter with a vintage valve amplifier.

It could have a higher BL than the modern driver but next to no
linear excursion. Anyway who wants linear excursion in a guitar
speaker ? next to no-one .... you want non-linear excursion ...

it's not the magnet weight that matters.

It is the magnetic field strength across the gap and the width it can maintain that field strength for nearly linear reproduction.

How many Car Audio speakers would dare to publish field strength or gap width in their literature?

nb,
by gap width I mean the distance in the direction of Voice Coil displacement, not the gap length between the poles.

Hi Sreten,

sreten said:

Hi,

I doubt it had the excursion or power handling capability of the other
modern driver, which would not matter with a vintage valve amplifier.

It could have a higher BL than the modern driver but next to no
linear excursion. Anyway who wants linear excursion in a guitar
speaker ? next to no-one .... you want non-linear excursion ...

Oh, indeed I'm sure!

I think the CTS was rated ~20 watts and had an almost AlNiCo-like mids and smooth highs. The modern one (no codes on the basket, but was less than 5 years old) was really bassy with crunchy highs and scooped mids. Voicecoil wire when I pulled it apart suggested 100W class.

Yay vintage valve amp speeks! :D

/end tangent

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.