Big In Japan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Pinging cdwitmer.

Here is a thread for knowing more about Japanese speaker industry. Both historically, currently, and technically. Who's BIG IN JAPAN?
Why we mainly know old Yamaha monitors and American TAD for Pioneer? Who was, is, the Japanese B&W? Or JJBL? Why we know mainly Fostex and exotic full rangers from Japan or extreme compression drivers? Where are the old Technics and Akai extensive lines? Many things not in order for the rest of the world's audio knowledge about speakers in Japan. Why Tannoy or Altec are legends there? Is there any local legend of equal or higher status? What is the mentality of choosing expensive speakers in Tokyo or Yokohama? How is DIY going on there? Are multiways being build by diyers? Local non horns or non FRs are any interesting and available in the high price market? Is there a Japanese Avalon, or Wilson? Why an insensitive BBC LS3/5A is treasured there, in the land of SET & horn bin FR?
Japanese members or other learned people please enlighten us...

your excellent question is un-answerable. Too vague I fear.

We want to know the best speaker and the state of the art and who is best in class.

But for what? small room bookcase, large room floor stander, full range, 3 way, bohemoth horn, line array?

there are many people working on parts of the puzzle. Nobody has the holy grail - I thought it was proven that sang-real never existed.

Now if you want to get specific, Tang-Band has some nice product. I'm flirting with W3-1364 right now and I'm getting chills up the spine and hairs standing which is good right?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
CLS said:

Such a quality maker and I never seen it exporting and being famous in Europe, like Luxman or Sansui for instance. Maybe its strong in Taiwan too? Why not marketing heavily and competing internationally with Japanese Speakers as the Japanese electronics did? Is Diatone related to Mitsubishi?

Some Japanese speakers that have impressed me :

1. Stax the maker of ESL headphones made some excellent ESL spks the F81... Even Harry Pearson awarded the Stax a couple of stars in his Editor's choice... IIRC The Stax F81 is really one of the sweetest ESL spks I've heard... the biggest problem was their low efficiency and inability to play loud.

2. Yamaha NS1000, even by today standards very nice spks.

3. Sony Esprit monitors... I heard these flat drivers at a Audio Exhibition.... Very impressive sounding spks.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
BTW said:
2. Yamaha NS1000, even by today standards very nice spks.

The Yamaha NS1000M looks like having been the role model for many Japanese speakers in the links.

Maybe shipping speakers abroad proved too expensive and ultimately futile given the stronghold of European and American makers in their own turf? There is a great number of Japanese speakers that were not in our shows in the past when the Japanese amplifiers were everywhere.

CDwitmer will tell us much more.

salas said:

Tonsil had something ''Japanese'' in the appearance of its transducers don't you think? Even the brand name has an aura like them. A great backbone driver maker. They have changed a lot during the last decade.

I am not an expert regarding Tonsil but AFAIK Tonsil long ago based its production on licences bought from Pioneer therefore there is a certain "technological link" between Tonsil and "Japanese loudspeaker culture"

unfortunately after the fall of the Iron Curtain in 1989 Tonsil was constantly bordering on bankruptcy and many interesting ideas were lost long before become commercialized

around 2002 Tonsil was taken over by Pioneer and after awhile finally went bankrupt
there are even rumours that it was an example of hostile takeover of a smaller local competitor
ironic, isn't it?

Tonsil factory in Wrzesnia is still run by a new company called "PRO Tonsil"

best,
graaf

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
BTW said:
Some Japanese speakers that have impressed me :

1. Stax the maker of ESL headphones made some excellent ESL spks the F81... Even Harry Pearson awarded the Stax a couple of stars in his Editor's choice... IIRC The Stax F81 is really one of the sweetest ESL spks I've heard... the biggest problem was their low efficiency and inability to play loud.

SET friendly at 78dB/W/m;)

Attachments

• f81.jpg
    f81.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 1,438
Unfortunately I won't be able to add much to this thread for the next couple of days, but I did post a brief comment pertinent to this topic here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1553441#post1553441

In addition to that, let me just add in passing that *some* of the great loudspeaker manufacturers in the West -- most notably JBL -- have developed hand-in-hand with the professional sound reinforcement industry. There has been a symbiotic relationship between "global" musicians who need sound reinforcement wherever they go and "global" JBL. I think one reason there is no maker corresponding to JBL among the Japanese is because Japan has not produced globally popular musicians the way the USA has. That cultural connection needs to be kept in mind. To a lesser degree perhaps the same can be said about recording monitors, at least historically. (Perhaps in recent years JBL is less dominant in the recording industry than it was at one time? -- I'm just guessing.)

As I said in my post linked above, I think the Japanese loudspeaker manufacturers have tended to market their most high-end products only in Japan. (With some notable exceptions, of course.) It's just an easier-to-reach market that tends to be more captive. (The same thing that makes it *easier* for Japanese makers to reach Japanese makes it *harder* for foreign makers to reach Japanese: the language barrier.)

-- Chris

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Your contribution is most valid, please add any thoughts at your leisure. Yes your point about connection with popular acts and studio work is obviously right and we have seen that for a Japanese manufacturer too and that is Yamaha. The NS10M and NS1000M are very well known out of Japan.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.