speaker repairable?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, first post in this section and sorry to say it isnt a happy one :(, ive recently been building myself a lm3886 based chip amp, it hasnt been the smoothest road but im getting somewere now so im a bit pleased.

The other day i built and tested my left channal of the amp, the speaker made a crackle and hiss and then the lm3886 chip fryed itself, i still dont know what made it happen but today i installed a new chip and its working a treat, bad news is ive discoverd my mid driver in the speaker that was rigged to it when it popped is now not working, ive tryed it in the case and ive even taken it out and tryed it without the crossover but theres absoloutly nothing coming from it, is this repairable, a new driver will only be around £20 but i dont really have the cash at th eminute, i fear it isnt repairable but i thought i would ask any way just to be on the safe side.

Chances are you've fried it. To be sure, disconnect it, then take a 1.5V battery and make/break connection with the driver a few times (polarity doesn't matter for this test). If the driver goes "click!" and moves when you do this, it may be OK and you'll be replacing crossover parts. If it doesn't, time for a new driver.

Can you ohm out the voice coil? If it's infinity ohms then you blew the voice coil. If its 2-5ohms it may still be ok. The voice coil may have jumped out of the gap - if you work from behind, through the frame you may be able to tease it back it. Is the cone jammed or does it still move in and out?

Whats the make/model?
Many better speakers have recone kits.
Madisound and other here in the US have generic recone kits .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.