eton 12"hexacone to manger crossover - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th June 2008, 11:15 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default eton 12"hexacone to manger crossover

hi all i will recieve the following drivers in about a week and need some help with the crossovers ,eton 12"hexacone x2 and manger transducers x2 the etons will be run active and the mangers will be run off a passive crossover the crossover point will be between 140 to 170hz as advised on the manger home site .the speakers will be setup in the same cab style as the overkill audio speakers .can i just use a simple first order or are there other things i need to consider both the etons and the mangers are 91db and 8 ohm .
Old 1st July 2008, 11:44 AM   #2
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

The main issue will be baffle step compensation for a flat response.

http://sound.westhost.com/bafflestep.htm

The manger site technically is a joke offering very little practical help.

/sreten.
Old 1st July 2008, 11:49 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

You won't need baffle step correction for the Manger since it has a response that is rising towards lower frequencies.

If you use the right crossover frequency and slope you won't need BSC for the woofer either.

Regards

Charles
Old 1st July 2008, 06:10 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

A cabinet size adjusted baffle step compensation will need to be included in your crossover. BSC can sometimes be acomplished by using different slopes for the bass and midrange, with some overlap between the bass/mid crossover frequencies.

The Manger has a maximum excursion of +/- 3.5mm, so a low crossover frequency can limit max SPL.

In the K&T article, the woofer has a second order and the Manger a fourth order slope at 200Hz

According to the Manger data sheets, the combination of 1st order HP at 370 Hz and 3rd order low pass at 100 also shows near-ideal step response behavior.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg manger_ts.jpg (62.5 KB, 568 views)
Old 1st July 2008, 11:08 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

thanks guys your answers are very helpfull . i was planing to cross the eton over to the manger at around 180 to 200hz if possible .im hoping to have the manger just doing the mid and high frequencys with the eton handling everything else .what things should i consider before choosing my crossover slope .i could use a simple first order but i cant help but think a steeper slope would be better such as a third order 18db. any thoughts ?also if the impeadence of the eton and mnanger are nice and flat at the crossover point do i still need a notch filter
Old 2nd July 2008, 04:58 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

hi all im considering a active plate amp(subwoofer) for lowpass at 180hz to a passive lr 3rd order highpass at 180hz .the drivers will be time aligned by setting the top cab(manger) back from the bottom cab (eton ) so the voice coils line up .the bass cab will be sealed at around 50l the top cab will also be sealed at around 14 litres it will be a spere cast from casting resin .any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Old 29th August 2008, 06:33 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Try the Hypex4.0 or 8.0
Old 30th August 2008, 10:27 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

hi mate

i have purchased some hypex ucd400hg modules with the onboard regs
i cant wait to try them

phase accurate
can you elaborate any futher
ive noticed you have some experiance with the manger driver

im also keen to hear from anyone else with any advice regarding crossover slopes and points with the manger to bass driver arangement
im using a dbx260 so it should be quite easy if you guys can give me some starting points

cheers
Old 30th August 2008, 11:29 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by slr 5000
hi all im considering a active plate amp(subwoofer) for lowpass at 180hz to a passive lr 3rd order highpass at 180hz .the drivers will be time aligned by setting the top cab(manger) back from the bottom cab (eton ) so the voice coils line up .the bass cab will be sealed at around 50l the top cab will also be sealed at around 14 litres it will be a spere cast from casting resin .any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Hi,

You can make a head ala B&W Nautilus, IMHO.
Where is located the woofer, below the MSW or near the floor?

Cheers,
Paolo
Old 30th August 2008, 12:12 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

hi mate

im making it a b&w 801 clone so the woofer will be around 100mm below the manger in its own cab with the matrix style bracing

the manger will be above it in a tear dropped shaped cabinet made of mdf layers laminated together to form the tear drop shape around 10 to 12 litres

the woofer cab will be 80 litres for a qt of .577 sealed

i hope this helps

cheers

Hide this!Advertise here!