Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

OSB vs Plywood
OSB vs Plywood
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th June 2008, 10:29 PM   #1
Chris8sirhC is offline Chris8sirhC  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Chris8sirhC
Default OSB vs Plywood

I recently noticed in the tapped horn thread that someone made their tapped horns out of a material that I had not seen before. The material used was OSB or Oriented Strand Board. I did a quick google search and found out that it is just as strong as plywood and it is inherently is void free. In many cases it can be stronger than plywood since you wont ever have bad spots lining up and weakening the material. It supposedly feels firmer when walked on in a house. Obviously it doesn't look pretty and a finish will be required, but does anybody have any experience with this material in regards to speaker or subwoofer construction? It is varying sizes of strands of wood that are meshed together and oriented together to achieve maximum strength. Based on the heterogeneity of this compound, I would venture a guess that resonances will be spread out a little better than mdf or plywood. Any thoughts?
Old 28th June 2008, 10:39 PM   #2
Iain McNeill is offline Iain McNeill  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Last time I checked it out there was a lot of air in it. Not necessarily a bad thing if used as part of a composite construction. An MDF/rubber/OSB composite could be interesting.

I think it would just be more consistent rather than better than ply. Depends how important the glue is, I guess.

Has anyone built with this stuff? I'd be interested too.
Old 28th June 2008, 10:49 PM   #3
MJL21193 is offline MJL21193  Canada
Account disabled at member's request

I have on a few occasions.
First, it does have small voids. Second, it it's stiffer than ordinary sheathing, but not as stiff as baltic birch.
Third, it can be troublesome to join - it glues well with regular yellow glue but will not like screws at all, especially in the end grain.
Finishing can be quite attractive. The pic below is of a sub I did a few years ago. Not a great shot, but it's all I have (the sub was not for me).
This I sanded, painted black and sanded again to expose raw wood as the black went into the crevices. I then put on several coats of stain and topped those with clear polyurethane.
It looked pretty unique.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg im000787.jpg (42.6 KB, 1299 views)
Old 28th June 2008, 10:58 PM   #4
doorman is offline doorman  Canada
diyAudio Member

OSB [oriented strand board] is ok for sheathing, but one can do far better for speakers, IMO
It also"off-gasses" some really obnoxious stuff.
Don
Old 28th June 2008, 11:15 PM   #5
Juergen Knoop is offline Juergen Knoop  Germany
diyAudio Member

my tmls are made of osb, I have used red glaze on the osb, that raw look is quite nice.
The odor differs widely. Some batches smell extremely strong after fresh wood.
Some batches don't smell at all.
OSB ist cheaper than MDF and plywood is extremely expensive here.
regards
Old 29th June 2008, 12:23 AM   #6
MJL21193 is offline MJL21193  Canada
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally posted by doorman
OSB [oriented strand board] is ok for sheathing, but one can do far better for speakers, IMO
It also"off-gasses" some really obnoxious stuff.
Don
There are always better options.

I prefer OSB stink to MDF stink. Winner, hands down, for pleasant odour in sheet material is spruce sheathing. Love it!

Quote:
Originally posted by Juergen Knoop
my tmls are made of osb, I have used red glaze on the osb, that raw look is quite nice.
Do not be ashamed brother. Good sound comes from good drivers, crossovers and design, not from the wood used.
Old 29th June 2008, 02:55 PM   #7
doogyscoot is offline doogyscoot  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJL21193

Do not be ashamed brother. Good sound comes from good drivers, crossovers and design, not from the wood used.

Show me the evidence, I demand it!!!
Old 29th June 2008, 03:23 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by doogyscoot

Show me the evidence, I demand it!!!
The discussion of cabinet/enclosure materials is one of those contentious issues that ALWAYS generates a lot of debate!
My advice, FWIW [probably very little!] is to build a couple of boxes out of different materials, no need to get fancy till you decide, and let you ears be your guide. IMHO, there are very real diffs. But hey, try your own experiment!
Don
Old 29th June 2008, 03:29 PM   #9
Peter M. is online now Peter M.  Norway
diyAudio Member

I have used OSB and there was no stink at all, it just smelled like wood. The surface was relatively smooth and if there were any voids in it it was small enough to ignore.

I have also seen OSB with a very rough surface and lots of small voids inside.

Found this pic on the net:
http://www.travagans.com/images/luxu...ch_OSB_800.jpg
Old 29th June 2008, 05:06 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

FWIW, here in Canada, OSB is marketed primarily as a sheathing material for residential/commercial construction, enabling producers to utilize chips, waste etc. Typically, it has 1 smooth side, and 1 rough side, the rough side allowing carpenters etc. to use it for roof sheathing without the "walking on ice" sensation!
Don

OSB vs PlywoodHide this!Advertise here!