Can I reuse this enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
woha I had the same idea-- Dave beat me to the post. Glue the PVC on the inside of the box. Also give it its own terminals so you can play with the crossover outside the box...

I'd just run the '871 full and cut the 10 at 150Hz or so.

OR?

Dave, would running the '871 through a highpass at 150Hz increace power handleing?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
swirv said:
woha I had the same idea-- Dave beat me to the post. Glue the PVC on the inside of the box. Also give it its own terminals so you can play with the crossover outside the box...

That is what i had in mind, but you could seal off the tweeter hole and just set it on top (but then you'd have to build a baffle to plug the end of the pipe.

I'd just run the '871 full and cut the 10 at 150Hz or so.

OR?

would running the '871 through a highpass at 150Hz increace power handleing?

In a sealed box the 871 will naturally start rolling off at about 150-200 Hz. Adding a filter would increase power handling and reduce excursions, but might mud things up a bit (unless done actively). I am doing 2 similar projects (but am only aiming at getting the 3" down to 250 Hz). One i'm going to do passive -- probably a series XO -- and the other active.

dave

planet10 said:

That is what i had in mind, but you could seal off the tweeter hole and just set it on top (but then you'd have to build a baffle to plug the end of the pipe.

In a sealed box the 871 will naturally start rolling off at about 150-200 Hz. (but am only aiming at getting the 3" down to 250 Hz).dave

I think I will just seal off the 3" within the enclosure, treat is as a midrange, although the 871 really is a midrange+tweeter, this will ups the roll off frequency a bit but the 10" frenquency range is from around 50Hz to 2K Hz, I can afford to cross it at around 500Hz to 700Hz, but is this a good range to crossover? I don't intend to use the 10" as subwoofer, just a regular woofer...This way I don't even have to modify the enclosure at all:)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
SlouGan said:
Will do as you suggested, do you have a good budget 10" in mind? I found in Q components website they have a pretty wide selection of 10"s, do you recommend their site?

I have had an eye on Q-Components (aka McBride) for awhile. Haven't had the opportunity to order anything from them yet. I'd suggest a paper cone woofer (which you can treat), and you probably want to do some modeling to see how well they will work in your enclosure.

For my projects in am going to be using drivers i have lying around. For the passive ones i am going to use a pair of RadioShack 40-1022 4"/side on the bottom, and fo rthe active one i have my eye on some vintage Coral 8" Full Range/extended range woofers.

If you want real cheap, i have salvaged 10" units kicking around here.

dave

Thanks much for your kind offering, but after some search I finally settled on the pair currently on solen.ca the peerless 831727, which is 10" and their price is $40 CAD each (compare to the madisound's $54 USD. So now I am going to have 10" peerless 831727 with 3" w3-871s going to this enclosure. I don't really have to change the enclosure except I might need to sand off a little bit of the 10" edge to fit the 10" in.
Now comes the hardest part, how to blend these two drivers together. The enclosure is around 1.1cu internal, is already not too big. I'll have to put another enclosure for w3-871 within it...thus further squeeze the internal volume.
I want to XO at around 250 as you pointed out. But I don't have any tools to measure those speakers. I should just take the specs as the standard and mess around with it. I want to design a 2nd order Linkwitz-Riley, what I got are the value C1,2 = 39.8uf, L1,L2=10.18mH. Should these values be the starting point? Do I need Zobel Circuit or L-pad as well?
I know I have too much unknown awaiting me, but I have around $150 CAD to throw around so after those 2 pairs I still got around $20 to get some cheap XO parts.......

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
SlouGan said:
I want to XO at around 250

I'd think this would be an ideal situation for a series XO.

Start here.

How wide is the box? (if you can sit the XO at the bafflestep frequency you can take advantage of the extra efficiency of the woofer to compensate for most of the BS)

3 mH choke, 95 uF cap based on a guess of 14" wide box.

dave

Oh god, series XO!!, it will be a lot harder to implement and tweak i guess, but let me go through the site you pointed....lots of info. there. Thanks.

The box size is (internally) WDH =11" x 9.5" x 19.25, so it's not quite 14" wide yet. I see the huge cap value you provided, guess if i want to get XO that low, i have to pay more on those things.

I will see if I am confident enough to go with series XO,:) Those speakers will arrive early next week, haven't ordered XO parts yet...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.