15" box design ideas?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th June 2008, 12:42 PM   #1
warnsey is offline warnsey  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default 15" box design ideas??

Well I have a pair of 15" Emminence Deltalite 2515 coming my way.

I'm after some ideas box designs to use with the Azura Horn flare for mids and Fostex top mount tweeter.

I want to cross them over as high as possble and keep them very efficient.

I was thinking of a front scoop bin like the one seen here . However, I'd love some ideas for different designs etc..
Old 18th June 2008, 01:19 PM   #2
Banned

I would use a straight front horn or open baffle on the 15 to try and match the horn radiation around the crossover. Both will probably require a sub (subhorn) if you want deep bass.

Scoops tend to be too much in the bass in home environments plus they offer no efficiency gain in the midrange as well as no directional control in the midrange. They also tend to sound funny where driver and horn overlap- they can sound good but need lot's of work. I had some 15 coaxials that I put in scoops and it ended up sounding decent.
Old 18th June 2008, 02:27 PM   #3
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: 15" box design ideas??

Quote:
Originally posted by warnsey
Well I have a pair of 15" Emminence Deltalite 2515 coming my way.

I want to cross them over as high as possble and keep them very efficient.
Hmm, the specs are for the original neo motored Deltalite, but the Deltalite page lists the type II, which has considerably different specs, so if you're getting the type II, then any box design using this website's published specs will be extremely under-damped, exactly the opposite of what you want.

Type II specs, though of course you should ideally measure what you use: http://www.eminence.com/pdf/deltaliteII2515.pdf

For max efficiency, a large mid-bass horn plus HE woofer/sub system is your only option with only a single mid-bass/woofer per channel, so how much you're willing to shelve down the mids/HF systems, the XO point and the room's gain BW will determine any other potential options.

For example, the type II specs calcs a 1 kHz ~97.5 dB/W/m half space efficiency, so figuring a typical room's up to 4 dB baffle step loss with non-horn loaded speakers placed out in the room a bit the system will only be ~93.5 dB/W/m efficient once EQ'd ~flat. With up to +30 dB transient peaks depending on the source material and signal chain's capability combined with a typical max average of 85 dB/m, this means you'll need up to ~57 W/channel available, so ideally no flea power SETs unless bi-amped.

GM
Old 19th June 2008, 09:34 AM   #4
warnsey is offline warnsey  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info... They are the newer Delatalite II 2515 drivers.

I was thinking of crossing them pretty high up at around 900hz.
Old 19th June 2008, 01:01 PM   #5
BHTX is offline BHTX  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by warnsey
I was thinking of crossing them pretty high up at around 900hz.
I'd say 900 Hz seems awfully high for such a configuration. Anyway, here's some Deltalite II 2515 goodies.. FR plot, CSD, impedance, and measured parameters: http://www.prodance.cz/protokoly/Emi...te-II_2515.pdf

Hide this!Advertise here!