Wilson Alexandria MTM spacing and crossover

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I thought that in an MTM design, the 3 drivers should be spaced as closely together as practical, to reduce comb filtering and to enhance integration of the drivers into a cohesive soundstage; and also, that the tweeter crossover point should be low.

The MTM spacing in the Wilson Alexandria looks wider than I would have guessed to be optimal.

Does anyone know the tweeter crossover point and slope in the Alexandria?

This is just for my education into MTM design principles. Thank you.

Attachments

• 1211433734.jpg
    1211433734.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 327
The driver spacing is dependent on several factors. The nearer the listener to the speaker and the lower the order of the crossovers the closer the drivers need to be.

However, as far as I know there is no harm in putting them as close together as possible. And as a rule of thumb it's best to have them rather close. At least the tweeter and midrange drivers.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
There is an adjustable vertical focus factor for the pictured speaker that has to be accounted for a given listening position. That helps it work better. It slides relative Z depth too.
Anyway I see a complex construction with much chance for multiple diffraction and a difficult wide MTM so to work well. Maybe that is why it is adjustable. These are not so great choices.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.