ported box design question: is exceeding the Vas of the driver bad?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
I recently purchased a pair of Raven R2 tweeters, and Cabasse 21m18LB3/8 woofers from another member of the forum (thanks a lot, TimB), and am thinking about making a pair of speakers with them similar to the orca design on zalytron:

crossover:
http://www.zalytron.com/Schematics/990703_a.jpg
cabinet:
http://www.zalytron.com/Schematics/990703_b.jpg

The Vas of the driver is 53L, and the reference cabinet design is 53L. I have done some simulations with MJK's (www.quarter-wave.com) ported box worksheets, and the cabinet doesn't seem optimal. If I double the depth of cabinet, then I get a much better response. I have attached the image below.

Is having a cabinet size double the Vas of the driver bad practice? I noticed that on TL enclosures, this is often the case, if not more then 2x.

One more thing, if I change the box size, and keep the front baffle dimensions and driver placement the same, can I keep the same crossover?

--
Brian

Attachments

• 21m18.gif
    21m18.gif
    14.4 KB · Views: 487
Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Re: Let me correct that link

mikee12345 said:

Thanks for the link. It looks like I created an ebs cabinet without knowing what it was :)

Are there any real drawbacks to this design modification? I measured the impedence curves of the drivers in lab today, and I will do the calculations later to see how close the drivers match the published spec.

--
Brian

Here's another graph, from Unibox this time.
I used xmax=6.5 mm per the documentation that I can find.

I don't think that the double volume will really help or hurt
you that much - especially when you look at that max spl line.
I cuts off most of the perceived benefit, except at lower volumes.

However, I do not know how loud 90 dB is, so I may be off.
Looks like I am going to have to buy an SPL meter if I am ever
going to understand all these graphs...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

BrianGT.

Just keep in mind once you increase the VAS beyond the woofers optimal enclosure requirements, you are at better risk of decreasing your xmax.

If your not running your speakers with low power, fine. However,
if your planning to operate them within its program rating, you'll run out of linear xmax.

Food For Thought.

Best Regards,

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.