Peerless HDS Exclusive - consistency - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2008, 11:26 AM   #1
check is offline check  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to check
Default Peerless HDS Exclusive - consistency

Are there any differences between current version of Peerless HDS (8", 7", 5", 1") and the one Zaph tested? He suggests there may be so. I have seen pictures of old Peerless stock and new Tymphany and there was clearly different paper surface, but no measurement was made. I could stand the paper difference, but what about the motor design? Is the impedance curve still the same (good)? I would like to build my new louspeakers on HDS line...
Quote:
Carefull buying HDS Exclusives, Tymphany has been revising and changing them. I can't say that if you bought this speaker today, that these measurements would be representative.
Old 15th June 2008, 04:06 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I can only speak to the 6 1/2" HDS. Initial Qc was variable as the first units were from Denmark. Production moved the China with problems. Latest units appear very consistent.

P.S. All drivers undergo changes. The SEAS Excel units availble today are not even specked the same as thouse of a couple of years back, but no model number change at all. The new Excel using look and spec differently.
Old 15th June 2008, 10:53 PM   #3
Svante is offline Svante  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I suppose one would expect a serious driver manufacturer to make new measurements and give the new driver a new model number or "mkII" or similar. Otherwise the measurements are nothing but advertisment.

I have six 830870 units that behave VERY different from the original Peerless drivers with two huge resonances (+10 dB) at 6 and 11 kHz. These are not present in the measurements on the Tympany page.

...the bottom line here is that one cannot trust the measurements on the Tympany page.
Old 15th June 2008, 11:41 PM   #4
rjb is offline rjb  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Don't forget also that measurements of units straight out of the box are not reliable. Drivers vary, but running in is an absolute must, as I found to my cost with some Seas L12.
Old 16th June 2008, 10:57 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Drivers vary, but running in is an absolute must
To see if your drivers have manufacturing faults or amplitude or impedance variations, I'd agree. But for box design, I've found T/S param changes still yield similar alignment slopes.

David.
Old 16th June 2008, 11:09 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I fear disappearing copper most. If could someone post measured impedance curve, it would be still flat, then i would be happy.
My only hope is, that they still write about rich utilizing copper and show flat impedance curve on web.
Old 17th July 2008, 12:44 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Why Zaph writes, that they are discontinued?
I'm going to order them in few days. Do they have rear vented magnetic strucure (hole i centerpolepiece)? I'm thinking about making them coaxial with some small neo tweeter...

Hide this!Advertise here!